metamucil help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Do you all take metamucil after you finish liquids during a flare up? I am back on liquids day 2 and my new GP is useless when it comes to diverticulitus. He said my bowels aren't moving and I said should I take metamucil (well actually Benefibre here in Canada) and he just shrugged. I couldn't get an answer out of him one way or the other. I am so upset, tired, confused and sick.

Please help.

Julie

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I started the next day I got diagnosed. I didn’t want to wait any longer. I started with one teaspoon a day. Now I am drinking two teaspoons twice a day. As far as food my doctor told me I could eat anything I wanted. He wasn’t much help to be honest. It is upsetting because they don’t give you answers you need. I’ve been eating the same thing for over a month. The pain is still there not as much as when I ended up in hospital. It will get better just hang in there. 
  • Posted

Hi Julie,

I am still new to all this myself but I am thinking no to taking fiber during an attack.  You may hear back from those with more experience who have better reasons to do it. I think we are to be giving our colon a rest.  Taking fiber would be a little too aggressive I think. Taking a good probiotic of 20 billion at least should help things along.  I am taking the very lowest dose of magnesium and it is keeping me regular every morning.  I think the fiber now is too harsh on the system.  I recently introduced 1/8 cup of oatmeal on the advice of my dietitian and I have now had another flare up and set back after I was really feeling good again.  No matter what the research says I am very skeptical of a high fiber diet- at least for now.  My first attack came after 4 years of eating a high fiber diet. 

Be very careful and start small if you do decide to take it.

I hope you feel better very quickly!  

• Posted

One thing to always remember is everyone is different.  I only took 1 tsp of Metamucil and 2 TBS of milk of magnesium AFTER I started the soft food diet. It's not good to stay on the liquid diet more than 4 days. Start small and be seriously selective on what you eat. Bone marrow broth is so full of vitamins, nutrients and minerals. Cut up small diced carrots and potatoes. . . absolutely avoid tomotaes and tomato based sauces.  I usually started with a half banana with ginger tea. It's all trial and error because what worked for me may not work for you.  No gassy vegies, no fresh fruit or veggies,  no red meat, boiled baked or grilled chicken  (no skin). 1 method is baby food.  I've been very fortunate to finally have sigmoid colectomy surgery 2 weeks out and am completely free of the disease. Lived with constant stomach flu multiple attacks,  short story I wouldn't be alive without the surgery. 

• Posted

Thanks to everyone who replied. Tomorrow I can start adding a bit of food in and I will take a very small dose of benifibre if I have not had abowel movement. Very small. I just find this whole thing so frustrating. One day at a time like my friend always says. One day.
  • Posted

I started taking fibre 3 days ago after my first attack 2 .5 weeks ago and so far loving it. Constipation kills. So if the fibre relieves constipation, do it. I am convinced You need to keep stool moving through the colon with this condition. It makes sense that the more the poo sits around the area of an inflamed diverticulum, or the slower it moves over that area of inflammation, the longer it will take to heal.

So, while the bulk may cause a little more pain while the stool passes through the affected area, I’m starting to feel that stagnant poo in the colon is worse. Last week before I started the psyllium husk, I had horrible consti which would only resolve with the runs, and i’m Convinced that it set my recover back a week. 

• Posted

I took 1/2 a teaspoon and that is half of the lowest dose. i ended up with the runs but at least some came out. Day two of soft foods and taking that slowly in very small amounts. Don't know yet if I will take more Benefibre tonight or not. Will see what this evening brings.

• Posted

Stay with that or what makes you comfortable.  Too much will make your colon spasm. I wish I had someone to talk to when I was first diagnosed.  Too many times I've had people tell me....it's not that bad....or I know someone who has it and they're fine. I say bull crap because everyone is different.  Living constantly on the antibiotics,  nausea and pain is no quality of life I wanted to live. Travel on hold because I had to make sure a hospital was near. Couldn't go to restaurants because you don't know how the food was cooked. And in my case the recovery time was getting worse after each attack. I could actually feel my body was tired and giving up....and I was right. Each attack does more damage to the colon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.