Metaprolol and Paroxetine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I'm hoping somebody maybe has some experience or knowledge with this..

I've been taking metoprolol for a year or two now. I first started it when I suddenly started having really high blood pressure and very bad ectopics. I've had no problems with metoprolol since I started taking it. It had virtually no effect on blood pressure (I also take lisinopril for bp) and it dropped my heart rate from about 65 on average to around 55 now (but mostly at night, since I take the medication in the morning)

So my question is about the paroxetine(paxil) and the potential interactions. I have a severe fear of anxiety medications as my experience with them has been pretty bad. I usually look up potential interactions with medications before I take them, and I've read from several sources that these shouldn't be taken together. I've also read that you should be closely monitored if you take them together. Supposedly taking the two together can increase the effects of metoprolol and cause serious side effects. My doctor and pharmacist both told me there's no interactions between the two medication but I've read from many sources that there can be interactions between the two. My doctor told me to monitor my bp and heart rate and let him know if anything changes, so I think he knows of the potential interaction and I should trust him. I just have a huge fear of anxiety medication and reading this stuff makes me very uncomfortable taking it. Does anyone know anything about this, or has anyone also taken these two together? Is this an interaction that would happen quickly, or would it happen slowly over a week or so? I currently take only 12,5mg of metoprolol and the paxil dosage would be 5mg. Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Shannon

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

ive been struggling with trying to get off my Beta Blocker for more than a year now. i am also on anxiety meds but not a Benzo. im convinced that my Beta Blocker is playing havoc with my nervous system. Beta Blockers are well known to cause CNS effects. if you can get off, thats great. im struggling terribly even though I am on a very low dose (4 g of Atenolol)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.