metatarsal cuneiform fusion

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hiya. It is now 12 weeks since I had the bunion on my right foot corrected and today I was discharged from the clinic 🙌

I have spent the last 3 months doing everything by the book, followed all instructions exactly and it has paid off. My xray today was good, I have healed well and am walking normally again (barring the odd limp which will subside with time). I can start wearing other shoes now instead of my trainers, even high heels (may hold off on those for a wee bit longer). I wasn't expecting such a good result today as my foot has done some strange things since coming off crutches but it all seems to be settling. Hang in there ladies & gents....I know the recovery can be tough!x

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Congratulations. It's encouraging to hear from a happy patient. 
  • Posted

I'm so gel of you haha!!!!! Wish mine had gone the same!!!!!! I can't wait to wear even a pair of slippers! Congrats! You deserve it x
    • Posted

Oh dear, which procedure did you have? I had to buy wide running shoes when I came out of the aircast at 6 weeks as I couldn't get my foot into anything and needed a sensible shoe. It was 10 weeks before I was able to get my foot into my regular shoes (but I have yet to wear them). Hope your recovery goes well x
  • Posted

Hi Lisa. So......am 4 weeks post op. Have akin, shaved and screws on both feet and have tonight removed bandages. I feel really vulnerable and don't know what to wear on my feet around the house, in bed, how to walk. Do I start weight bearing now? I also have a large 'v' gap between my big toes and scone toes! Do you know if this will reduce? Sorry, to be asking you all is but I'm sure you are aware we don't get a lot of aftercare info! Well done to you anyway! X
    • Posted

Hi Paula.  Sounds like you have had a lot more work done than me.   All I would say is do whatever your surgeon tells you and go to each appointment armed with questions.  I always write my questions down as and when I think of them and then take the list with me. I was only allowed to start fully weight bearing at 8 weeks.  Its better to take it slowly to avoid any damage.  I remember at the 4 week mark the idea of being off crutches seemed like a distant dream but It came around  really fast.  I will try and attach some pics.  If I get it right then it will be one of my 'after' xrays, a PIC of my foot  at 4 days post surgery and then a PIC at 11 weeks post.  

Hang I there......just think of the lovely pain free feet you will have in the end x

• Posted

Hi Paula, I am 8 weeks post op and I have my check up with my surgeon this Thursday. I think my recovery has gone well and I am really hoping that I can ditch my surgical shoes. My procedure sounds like yours, both feet done together. I was told to wear my shoes at all times when weight bearing for the first 6 weeks or until my surgeon had checked my xrays to ensure the bones had mended. I couldn't make my 6 weeks appointment, hence having to wait another two weeks to see him. The only time that I have stood without the shoes on was at 6 weeks when showering, and even then I put the weight on my heels and outer sides of my feet. I had been using a shower seat up until then. I wanted to give my feet a good chance of repairing well and quickly. I think it has paid off as I have had little swelling and I can move my toes without discomfort. Patience is the key and keepng your feet elevated periodically. Good luck with your recovery.
  • Posted

What makes me cross it's my gp wanted me back at work yesterday, full time! I couldn't dream about driving let alone doing a full day at work! My surgeon said to stop wearing the shoes at 4 week stage so I think I will carry on walking in the outer sides of my feet and elevate with some ice spray . Good luck girls x
  • Posted

Well done! Obviously pays to take it slowly and follow instructions. Clearly not worth going through with having the operation and then not doing everything right. When I was in hospital having mine done I was told by one of the nurses that you would be amazed at how many people want to do 'their own thing'! 

I have been for my six week check up today. I had both bunions done by MIS surgery and a hammer toe correction on one foot. I had not stood up without my lovely shoes (though I did put foot on the ground on Saturday by mistake - had been told that I could try without the shoes if I felt confident, which I definitely didn't! ). Iwas a bit worried because one foot had been more 'awkward over this last week than it had been for the previous five weeks! I am really pleased that everything has been healing well and I don't have to wear the glam shoes anymore! Yippee! I have not been able to get feet into any shoes because big toes are still a bit stiff so have walked around the house this evening with sturdy walking sandals on (checked with the surgeon that they would be ok). i was absolutely terrified of doing this (yes, I am a wimp) but I have managed fine. A little bit achey on the way to bed but I am really chuffed. Surgeon says that I should be able to wal up to a mile a day within no time! Got to have some physio to help with the stiff toes but already beginning to feel better! Did yelp a bit when the surgeon flexed them around a bit but it seems to have helped. One big toe in particular had been 'pulling upwards' this last week.but is already beginning to settle.  Small pain for lots of gain! 

So, am clearly hoping for contined improvement. Have to go back in another six weeks for what I am hoping will be the final check. My advice is the same as Lisa's - follow the instructions from your surgeon. Remember, the procedure that has been carried out on your feet might not be the same as someone else's so the recovery, exercises that you have to do and the advice given might not always be exactly the same! If in doubt, ask. And finally, be kind to yourself. Take time to look after yourself and remember that Rome wasn't built in a day (despite the fact that you want to be recovered sore duper quick!). Good luck

• Posted

Hi Karen - I am having the same procedure as you on Dec 8th except I have hammer toes on both of my feet. I decided to have both at once via MIS surgery so was very interested to hear of your experience which really helped.  Thank you for sharing!
    • Posted

Good luck. I would like to say that this was nowhere near as bad as I had expected. I had bunions removed via the traditional method when I was young and this was nothing like it. Very little pain. Even on the first day, it was fine. There was a bit of pain straight after I came round after surgery but mentioned this to the nurse in recovery who gave me an intravenous pain killer and that was the last time that anything like that was needed. Following that it was paracetamol and codeine. The hammer toe has not really had any pain at all  after the first week when the first dressings were removed. I am very grateful to the surgeon. I would definitely say to you to be kind to yourself and keep up with the pain killers. Prevention is better than cure! I took them religiously. Do follow the advice regarding moving as much as you can. You really don't want to have any additional issues. Good luck. I am sure that you will be absolutely fine
  • Posted

Sorry!problem with reply and now it is there numerous times! Wasn't that good first time around!
  • Posted

Hi thx for posting this. I am now 6 weeks post complex surgery for my bunion and toes. Had pin in 2 ND toe out Las week painless procedure, but my tie ached for a few days. My toes very stiff at first but as soon as started walking in fitflops they started to improve dramatically. I am using one crutch now outdoors as I don't feel confident to ditch them completely. Ha e been walking round house in special shoe from week 2.

My toes look great in sandal perfectly aligned but when not weight bearing they look very odd sticking up and flopping at funny angles. I think though with Physio and tissue and nerve repair that will improve and the look has improved dramatically over last two days. So patience I key I guess. I see Physio tomorrow. For first time. I did everything I was told to and asked lots of questions of my surgeon and was grateful for discussions on here. I religiously elevated for first two weeks and elevate whenever I can now to reduce swelling. Elevation is key to good recovery and cannot be underestimated how important it is particularly in first two weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.