Metformin

Posted , 1 user is following.

I was diagnosed with High Blood pressure, diabetes and high Chlosterol all in one go at the beginning of March 2007, I was prescrbied Metformin, I was losing a stone a month in weight, although have now stabilised. I have lost 3 stone in weight, I was not particularly overweight to start with, and got diabetes because of another underlying health problem, which put me at risk. Has anyone else lost a lot of weight on these tables, because I seem to be the only one, most people I have spoken to put on weight not lose it!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i TEND DO LOOSE A BIT OF WEIGHT.
  • Posted

I have lost a pound per week for the last 4 weeks and I was definately not carrying any excess weight
  • Posted

I was placed on Metformin initially 2 tablets daily for one week, raising 2 tablets twice daily for the next week until finally 2 tablets thrice daily.

I have just started 2 tablets twice daily.

The main reason for this was, of course, to control my diabetes, but also to aid in losing weight - in conjunction with exercising and improved diet.

The problems I am currently experience since the increase in dosage are headaches and nausea, which has decreased my appetite considerably. Maybe this is how the weight will be lost!

• Posted

[quote:232fcf372b=\"Guest Isis\"]I was diagnosed with High Blood pressure, diabetes and high Chlosterol all in one go at the beginning of March 2007, I was prescrbied Metformin, I was losing a stone a month in weight, although have now stabilised. I have lost 3 stone in weight, I was not particularly overweight to start with, and got diabetes because of another underlying health problem, which put me at risk. Has anyone else lost a lot of weight on these tables, because I seem to be the only one, most people I have spoken to put on weight not lose it![/quote:232fcf372b]

Hi

I was prescribed Metformin last June, and had desperately been trying to loose weight by attending Weight Watchers, after a year I have lost 2 1/2stone and now to think it may have been down to Metformin I am gutted sad I do have a weight problem, and as I haven't reached my goal yet I wondered why I was struggling, as no matter how hard I try I now seem to have stopped losing weight.

• Posted

I also have recently been diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol and prescribed Metformin. In 5 weeks I have lost over 1 stone, but I put alot of this down to drastic life style changes such as a much healthier diet and more exercise. As a result of losing weight, my blood pressure is normal and my blood sugars are coming down, so in my experience, Metformin is doing what I was told it would....stabilise my sugar levels and help me lose some weight too, all bonuses!!!
  • Posted

Hi I'm 20 years old and I have been on Metformin for two years, it does cause most people to lose weight, some people it stablizes their weight, and others do gain, it all depends on body chemistry. I was slightly overweight and the medication did help me to lose weight. In my case I was hardly eating and gaining weight before the medication, now I eat healthy and am at a normal weight for my age and height. I do know that it does level out after your body gets used to the medication and your blood sugar levels become closer to normal.

Eating healthy and exercise really helps when you arent feeling well. When I do start to feel sick, I exercise alittle, or eat something small. After I switched doses, I did not want to eat, but after eating I usually felt better, less nausea, and less of a headache. It takes some time to get used to, but overall I do feel better.

It works differently for each person. Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.