metformin and orlistat

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone

Have gotten my sensible head on today after feeling sorry for myself yesterday.

Has anyone else got experience of coping with both medications? Luckily I haven't had any side-effects from the Metformin, in fact feel much better on them.

Or any suggestions for low sugar and low fat nibblies that I can eat when forraging, instead of my usual crisps and nuts :? As I seriously do not want to join the O/oil gang, or have accidents at work. The thought of smelly 'bum-burps' at work is scaring me rigid :oops:

Have decided to start taking the tablets tonight with tea and staying at home all weekend to see what effects they have on me.

Any help and advice will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks to you all

Womom

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Womom

Haven't got any experience in using both meds, but just wanted to say good luck :lol: If you do a google search on metformin & orlistat it brings up a few sites that you could check out. Dont know if you had a look at my other post this morning, but I have managed to avoid the dreaded o/oil so far :lol:

I find satchets of miso soup are good for staving off hunger 9available from all good health shops) and my friend (Skye) swears by muller lit yoghurts. Hopefully someone far more knowledgable than me will be along soon to provide some help!

Kirsty :lol:

• Posted

Cheers for that Kirsty

Like I said any help and advice will be gratefully received. I think it's just fear of the unknown, that I'm troubled with at the moment. But definately a big help being able to bring up any subject on this site, mainly bodily functions (or should that be malfunctions?) that I really don't want to discuss with 'friends' and family.

Hopefully the end result will be a healthy fat free liver, and an extra bonus is that my husband has never seen me under 10 stone......

Have decided that if it doesnt kill me its got to make me stronger...........

Womom

• Posted

Hi Womom,

I am a diabetic on metformin, gliclazide and insulin. I have been taking orlistat now for 7 weeks and have managed to lose 6kg so far. I have had no side effects as yet and stick to my usual low fat, low sugar and high fibre diet.

I was warned when I had to go onto insulin last December it would be very difficult to lose weight, I had been trying for some time with no success. I am keeping to 12-15gm fat per meal and snacks of fruit or occasionally a packet of baked crisps (2gm fat). I am eating well and checking labels on tins and packets for fat content.

The best result has been a drop in my blood glucose levels which I am delighted about.

I wish you all the best with your weight loss, if it is working for me hopefully it will work for you.

Beryl K

• Posted

Well done on ur weight loss Beryl...thats great... smile
  • Posted

Hi Beryl

I started the tablets on Saturday and really have a hard job hitting between 12 -15 g of fat per meal. But dont seem to have any signs of the dreaded side effects. Wonder if I will still loose weight just with the low fat diet, if the Orlistat doesn'nt work on meals under 15g of fat?

I did load up with the recommeded low fat alternatives for things. Am making up my own sauces for pasta and find the WW's vegetable soup (the nil points one) absolutely brilliant, can really pig out on that!!

I also spoke to the help line, number in the pack, as advised to do, chatted to a really helpful young ozzie. So awaiting the literature from them.

I was worried about taking the Metformin and the Orlistat together but haven't had any of the bloating that was a possible side effect for diabetics, so hopefully wont have any worries there.

Anyway early days as yet, but will stick at it. Good to hear from someone in the same boat. Bad enough checking sugar levels but having to check fat levels as well...... :shock:

Your weight loss sounds brilliant and I only hope I do as well.

Womom

• Posted

to be totally honest i am concentrating on good food and portion size and going back to the old style ticky box diets going off maps reccomendation for food type the only time i look at fat is if i am buying a prepared meal and i have cut those out. it only takes a spoon of marg in your mash potato to get the fat level right.
  • Posted

At last some others on here on the same combination of pills as me! My doctor has prescribed me Metformin for PCOS and orlistat for weight loss. To be honest I have been incredibly lucky and had no 'accidents' yet. I went to my docs for my first 4 week weigh in and had lost 10lbs! I was so happy as I had been urged to go to docs by friends as a previous diet had me putting weight on. Apparently after blood tests etc I was found to be insulin intolerant, which is cause by PCOS? Anyway the doctor said most likely body was in starvation mode (I weighed 16st 5lbs!! at 5ft 4 so not likely) and this meant no matter how few or many calories I ate it was turning to fat. Anyway the Metformin now seems to have kicked in and the Orlistat is helping to boost me. The doctor has gone to great lengths to tell me I am not diabetic so we will see what happens in the future.
    • Posted

hiim so happy with ur progress.we have the same case. im also having pcos. im so interested of ur journey of losing ur weight through metformin and xenical. May i know how your taking the metformin and the xenical? how many times a day? r u drinking them together or different timing? ur answer is well appreciated. Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.