Metformin - constant stomach pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone have problems with Metformin. I have been taking them for a couple of months or so and i never seem to have a pain free day. It is getting very draining. I have made a couple of mistakes with gluten and i am still experimenting as to how strict I have to be (I have not been diagnosed Coeliac) eg I don't think i can have malt vinegar, never cook my food in the same pans as gluten containing foods etc. But while i am taking this tablet I am finding it very hard to work out if its the tablets or if I've made another mistake (although I am being very careful). They do conatin modified maize starch and I wondered if this could be part of the problem. Sorry to be a bit confusing but thats because I am very confused lol.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You are not alone in this. I had terrible trouble on Metformin, they swapped me on to the time release one, but I was no better. Some people just can't tolerate the stuff unfortunately. I went back to my doctor and told her I'd had to stop taking it. Fortunately I've been able to keep my glucose down with diet and exercise (I can only walk as I have other health issues). I was told though, that if I needed extra help they could give me different medication, but it is the older medication and doesn't work as well as Metformin and there are side effects.

i would go back to see your doctor if I were you, it's no fun spending your days with stomach cramps.

• Posted

Maize starch does not contain gluten. If you get pain from the tablets it will not be gluten as no medicines contain gluten.

• Posted

Yes gillmm I forgot to add that.  Coeliac UK tells us that any drug with a licence number (which basically is all prescribed drugs) are all safe for Coeliacs to have.  What I was referring to in the earlier post is the drug itself can cause problems for people (not just Coeliacs).
    • Posted

Yes its ok. I understood what you were talking about. I will go back to my diabetic nurse and explain my problem,.
  • Posted

Thank you for your replies. I had two days where I didn't take the evening tablet and by day 3 i felt so much better, even managed to get some housework done. So last night I took the evening tablet and then the morning one after my breakfast. The pain today is worse than ever, I was even nearly sick earlier. I would give it a 9 or 10 out of10. Can't believe it has come back so bad. I can't go on like this so I might drop the second tablet until I get to see the diabetic nurse. The reason I was asking about the modified maize starch is because even though it does not contain gluten I have heard about Coeliacs and gluten intolerant sometimes having problems with it and the way I feel is just like I have eaten gluten for a week!!! Good to know that tablets do not contain gluten though because its hard enough avoiding sometimes anyway.
  • Posted

It's just as well medication doesn't contain gluten, as I take a boat load of pills every day. I hope you get sorted out with some different medication and that your nurse at the diabetes clinic has some suggestions.  I've had to try controlling my glucose with diet, exercise and keeping hydrated, as I was like you and the stomach cramps were too bad. Unfortunately because of other illnesses, the only exercise I can do is walking. 

Fingers crossed for you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.