Metformin getting use to it

Posted , 8 users are following.

Started on 500mg x 4 per day a month ago. Getting stomach pains also tingling in my legs and groin , does this go away soon. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Read the insert that comes with your medication- it tells you what side effects happen with this medication.

I care for my elderly mother and felt the side effects were too risky. I  helped my mother get off the meds with diet, herbs and acupuncture.  

For her, it was shocking how effective a very strict diet was at reversing diabetes. Her diabetes was caused by medications and was very severe. It took six months of very strict diet and natural healing for her to be completely off the meds. 

It was worth the trouble.

• Posted

I think you need to bear in mind that not all type 2 diabetes is caused by bad diet. My diet has always been very good. I am permanently on steroids because on an eye condition called uveitis, and my consultant has confirmed that this has caused me to develop diabetes. I cannot go off steroids because there is no alternative and if I do go off them I will go blind. Having diabetes is a small price to pay for keeping my sight.
  • Posted

I had similar   Problems when I started with metformin so was switched to a different type called slow release Glucophage and have had no problems since. 
  • Posted

About 18 months ago I was diagnosed as diabetic.  My A1C was 9.2 and I don't know how long it was that high.  I was having an issue with having no energy so I requested a full blood test.  As soon as I was diagnosed I started on Metformin 1 per day.  I also started removing as much sugar from my diet as I could along with adding more raw vegetables.  My A1C dropped about 1 point every 3 months when I was tested, so I was around 6.2.  But I was kind of stuck there.  Some things that helped keep me stable was adding a multiple B vitamin, 2 multi minerals, 1 cinnamon with chromium., a separate sublingual B12. 

Some additional things I am trying; 1 Tbspn coconut milk 2 times a day, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 4 times a day.

Give this a try and see what happens.  Regards John

• Posted

I believe you can ask your GP for slow release metformin that does away with the side effects.
  • Posted

I started on metformin 1000 about ten days ago.  Apparently I tolerated it reasonably well from the start, yes there was diarrhea but just once a day.  Doctor said it would get better as the body adjusted and I thought he was just blowing smoke but it has gotten better, though I'm still locating the bathroom first thing everywhere I go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.