Methadone suboxone or not ! Advice needed

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been a heroin user since 2011 and started at 30yold . Anyway I've been on off on off and inbetween I've lost everything including all self respect.

I tried naltrexone tablets(October 2015) with some success and managed to stay sober for 7 months and relapsed . Then I cold turk again and I'm fine go back on my stash of naltrexone and I stay sober for a few months .

Anyway lately I've been forced back to work , not that I don't want to work have money and live, but forced meaning doing jobs out with my profession because I've no confidence to get back in when I'm feeling low .

Anyway I've gotten sober against the odds and lost 2 jobs because of relapsing and not being able to get up n out of bed .

I've refused methadone for years because i don't want to have to come off of it . At the moment I've dug a hole via this universal credit and I'm completely depressed and I'm using every other day .

I know I could get sober again but I seem to relapse and relapse harder .

I'm just wondering if methadone would give me some sort of will to try as each time I get sober with no opiates, I'm very fragile even after 2 months I'm very apprehensive about life and become lonely and boom I relapse .

Anyway I'm mostly wondering if going onto methadone would get rid of the anxiety and allow me to get my life together , but I wallow n wonder if I'm the problem and using is the result . Anyway if appreciate some advice as I have an appointment with addiction services again soon . Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Go on subutex not methadone.

If you wantvto get clean and stat clean go to NA. I tried for years on my won and failed but with NA i stay clean.

• Posted

Hi I started Subutex (in uk) about 7 weeks ago. It definetly gave me my old increased energy back i felt really good on it. 

You don’t get even a sniff of getting high but you feel good and I’m control and made me feel i didn’t HAVE to take pills anymore. I still do get cravings but not as much and not as instese. 

Obviously we all react differently to medications but I would suggest you try Subutex first as it’s easier to switch to methadone from Subutex if it doesn’t suit you rather than Methadone to Subutex. All

Of this is according to my doctor. 

Methadone will sedate and give you a slight buzz (apparently) 

Just my thoughts. Keep going. 

• Posted

Hi Harrison, I'm in the north of the UK and we are only offered suboxone and not subutex .

Are u in the UK yself ?

Anyway I've been cleanish from 24th of July 18 and I'm only using every now and again atm . In between I'm using my naltrexone tabs .

Anyway up here methadone is the most popular to be put onto and in retrospect suboxone for me is a complete pain to administer as you have to sit with it under your tounge for 15plus mins .

And I really DO not want to sit in a chemist for this amount of time each day .

Although I can't go on feeling like sh¡t for much longer.

My using over the past 35 days equates to 2 bags a day for 2 days n then off . I'm using right now...smoking it as I do .... and then tomorrow I'm back off. Last use before this was 12 days ago.

Anyway are you uk based and if so how can I get subutex rather than suboxone as the subutex are full agonists and the suboxone only partial as they contain naloxone..

My using is for relief of my stomach aches and a good night's sleep and that's the truth. I have outgrown this rubbish and want my life back.

I too ...do not want methadone and despise it . I've taken it before illegally and came off it CT last year after 3 months at 35 to 50 ml a day.... it was absolute he'll in comparison to heroin . It's sook long drawn out .. I couldn't even walk to the shops .

Anyway thanks for the advice ..

Please reply as I'd like to know if your in the UK and if so I'm going to ask why my drug and alcohol team never mention it ! Thanks

• Posted

Hey man yes I’m from Central Scotland - we don’t do suboxone here!! At first it takes a while to get used to dissolving! After a week it takes 5 mins. 

It is a pain having to wait 10 mins in the pharmacy but I have a full time job aswell as a part time job and I  fit it in.  You can choose the pharmacy you want to go to (if they have space) I recommend choosing one that has long opening hours! I drive too which helps. 

If you stick at it though you will get to take the prescription home with you and pick it up once a week. I’ve been nearly 3 months now and it’s not been considered yet but I’ve had a couple of relapses but nothing that’s taken me off course!

I’m goinf to a Lloyd’s pharmacy and they really professional and discrete. If you treAt them well then they’ll be great with you too!

I think it’s worth the hassle of sitting in a pharmacy for 15 mins everyday and getting clean should be the main priority in your life! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.