Methatrexate and psoriasis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Since coming off of Methatrexate my psoriasis has come back worse than i have ever had it before. I now have it all over my body including on my face. Has anyone else experienced this before?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Robert I'm on Methatrxate for psoriatic arthritis but my psoriasis is mild so I guess I can't comment on your problem .  I do however get massive benefits from my psoriatic arthritis with methotrexate, and just wondering if it was working for you why you are no longer taking it ?

• Posted

Im off it now as my rhumy took me off as im also on cimzia. But i have had pneumonia and another viral infection. So as a precaution he has taken me off it for now as my immune system is too low
  • Posted

Wise to give your body a chance to recover after the illness. I think you might be experiencing bounceback after the methotrexate withdrawal. Once you restart it will hopefully beat it back into submission. I'm on Cimzia alone for PsA as I can no longer tolerate methotrexate. Liver says no!

• Posted

After the pneumonia my liver was saying no to MTX but after a couple of weeks of going on and off it the liver said yes again. Then i had another infection so rhumy took me off it, but my psoriasis has come back. I used to just get it on my calves and elbows, but as i said im now covered heat to toe.
  • Posted

Your experience scares me.  I'm so sorry for you.  I'm starting MTX tonight and scared about the many possible side affects.  I'm 53 and have already lost hair due to plaque psoriasis.  Not fun being a woman who could end up bald and have worse skin issues.  I hope you are able to get cleared up.

• Posted

Hi Tammy same age as myself although I guess for a woman the side effects of losing hair is devastating unlike for men we can get away with that side effect. This disease is horrible and shows no mercy to anyone. Fingers crossed that you have none or minimal side effects to MTX.
    • Posted

Thank you Robert.  I am on a very low dosage to be taken Friday night through Saturday am.  I'm hoping with this low dosage I won't have any nasty side effects.

• Posted

My Rhumy has put me back on MTX but only on 10mg in the hope it suppresses the psoriasis but does not lower my immune system to the low level that it was before. So fingers crossed. Obviously im back on fortnightly then monthly blood tests again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.