Methimazole

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm newly diagnosed with hyperthyroid. All levels normal, except tsh, last blood test was 0.42. I'm on methimazole for about 6 weeks, I don't like how I feel. I'm on a low dose, only 2.5 mg a day. What side effects have you guys had? I really want to go off of it. Any advice is appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was on 10mg once a day for the first few months and then decreased it to 5 mg for 6 months. I really didn't have any side effects. However I would not stop without talking to your Endocrine. The medicine could be temporary. Once all of my levels became normal for 6 months he let me stop them completely. I finally feel like my old self. If you do not like the side effects, maybe they can change your medication.

• Posted

thanks for your reply. I just was hoping to feel better by now. I plan on calling him tomorrow.

• Posted

You will feel better. Hang in there. Definitely call him. if your levels are almost normal you may need a smaller dosage...

• Posted

hi, I was diagnosed 14 months ago with hyperthyroid and Graves’ disease… Did you get your antibody levels checked to see if you don’t have GRAVES? Hopefully you were going to an endocrinologist and not a GP. I started out at a very high dose of methamazole Because of my blood numbers and because I needed to get my heart rate down for an upcoming surgery… Three months on 30 mg three months on 20 mg then 10 mg because of my blood numbers and because I needed to get my heart rate down for an upcoming surgery… Three months on 30 mg three months on 20 mg then 10 mg now Now on a maintenance dose for a while up 2.4 mg daily… From everything I’ve researched now on a maintenance dose for a while up 2.4 mg daily… From everything I’ve researched says That even if your blood levels Thyroid THS and other levels are normal maintenance dose for a while even a year of 2.4 mg every other day it’s good to do As to not slip out of remission… Definitely check with your doctor about that and possibly switching to another medication… The key is to ask you to many questions as possible and if you don’t like your endocrinologist switch like I did… After a year I switched and like my new one better

• Posted

hi, I was diagnosed 14 months ago with hyperthyroid and Graves’ disease… Did you get your antibody levels checked to see if you don’t have GRAVES? Hopefully you were going to an endocrinologist and not a GP. I started out at a very high dose of methamazole Because of my blood numbers and because I needed to get my heart rate down for an upcoming surgery… Three months on 30 mg three months on 20 mg then 10 mg because of my blood numbers and because I needed to get my heart rate down for an upcoming surgery… Three months on 30 mg three months on 20 mg then 10 mg now Now on a maintenance dose for a while up 2.4 mg daily… From everything I’ve researched now on a maintenance dose for a while up 2.4 mg daily… From everything I’ve researched says That even if your blood levels Thyroid THS and other levels are normal maintenance dose for a while even a year of 2.4 mg every other day it’s good to do As to not slip out of remission… Definitely check with your doctor about that and possibly switching to another medication… The key is to ask you to many questions as possible and if you don’t like your endocrinologist switch like I did… After a year I switched and like my new one better

• Posted

• Posted

I was checked for Graves, I don't have it. I just might look for a new endocrinologist. I feel like he gives me the brush off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.