Methimazole : hair loss

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone I have been taking methimazole for about a month still seeing some hair shedding its really bother me to the point I want to cut but I'm scared if I cut it it will continue to shed. All my other symptoms have pretty much subsided I feel pretty good actually this is one my concerns now .

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tina,

Sorry to hear you’re still experiencing hair loss.

Methamazole may or may not be the culprit. Due to the hair growth phase, assault against your hair follicle could’ve taken place 3-4 months ago and only now entering the shedding phase. Most graves/hyper patients suffer from vitamin deficiencies so if it’s caused by the disease itself and not the meds, hairloss should slow down soon (my derm told me 6-9 months) Have you had any other blood tests done? 

I know how you feel but i hope it subsides for you soon. 

• Posted

Yes I had blood test done when I seen endocrinologist I called to see what results were she told me I was deficient in vitamin d to take supplement of vitamin d 1000. I was taking super b complex vitamins before seeing doctors she said not to take them right now , I go back for more blood work in about 2 weeks.
  • Posted

Hi Tina

Sorry about the shedding. I wanted to mention, I went from 10mg Methimazole to 5 then 2.5 and stopped for 2 months. Just found out my TSH crept up.  Why did your doc say to not take B complex?  I know Biotin can change the TSH reading so I stop for 4 days before a test: it doesn't do anything to your thyroid, just affects the TSH reading. I take lots of vits, one is B stress and also B12 and B2.

So I'm back on 2.5 mg Methimazole now. I guess I will be for life as I have a hot nodule. Shrinking but apparently still causing probs.

• Posted

Tina -  Correction. My TSH dipped. I wish it crept up :-)  
  • Posted

Yes I think she said not to take because of biotin effecting  reading. How do u know if your at proper dosage of methimazole she started me out on 10 mg. I feel a lot better just the shedding hair . I used to have constant yeast infections wonder if all this was connected in some way, obgyn couldn't find out why.

• Posted

My Endos wanted to dose by blood levels but I cut according to how I felt. 10mg made me start feeling really sick after a couple months. I was OK at 5 for a bit but then felt sick, weak, pale skin, depressed, so I cut to 2.5 and I was okay but went off to get an accurate blood level without vitamins or Methimazole. Turns out this recent blood test after being off med for 2 months showed my TSH dipped so I'm back on 2.5mg. More blood work in 4 mths. 

That's how I felt the first time on 2.5. Pretty good. I'm sorry I went off because my TSH was close to normal at that time. How are your blood levels? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.