Posted , 4 users are following.

 I.v  just started on methotrexate but the hospital said not to take any pain killers they are to bad  for you  but i can hardly


I have rheumathoid  arthrisis

does anyone know  what i can take any


1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

  • Posted

    I have rhumatoid athritis I'm on tramadol it douse not help
  • Posted

    I know there are certain antibiotics you can't take with Methotrexate but wasn't aware you couldn't take painkillers. Ring your GP today and ask his advice.
    • Posted

      My athritis has got so bad over the past three weeks I'm in so much pain and getting very scared my GP has also just told me I need to find another doctor as ive moved flat he wont be my GP anymore
    • Posted

      Oh Lena that's awful. At least he could have seen you for the last time and treated you! Do you have a drop in type of surgery. We do and most areas do now. Even if you are registered with a/GP they will see you. More and more people use them now because they can't get an appointment with their own GP
  • Posted

    you can take the precribed dose of paracetamol or iubrofen if you have no other heath issues.

    I have been taking these pain killers for twelve years to help with my RA.

    Now my consultant has moved me onto B cell therapy which requires an IV infusion of a recent drug called Mabthera which is really helping.

    I suggest to talk to your gp about the pain relief but badger them to send you to an RA consultant and start treatment ASAP, it will stop deformation of joints, I should have done it years ago.

    Also I was given methotrexate at the start of my treatment, it made me ill and also started my menopause at age 44 so beware of this drug it can have side effects

    • Posted

      Hi ourkid

      Thank you for your advice But I cant take the painkillers you mention because of meds im on and allergic to asprin.

      Im seen a rheumatologist who put me on methotrexate but the head nurse said stay of pain killers because they lead to problems later on maybe thats why im so bad now because I've been taken defien in tablet or suppositories form over 30 years for different problems and was on alot of steroids over the years for skin trouble whice turned out to be lupus so I m wary of painkillers but need something.

      I never heard of that therapy your on but please God it will stay doing you good .God bless you.

      cheerio Tia x

  • Posted

    Go to A & E if you are in too much pain & you do not have a GP or a walk in centre near you.They will be forced to  provide you with health care and at least provide you with painkillers short term and a referal to an RA consultant.

    Really do not ignore these problems insist they are investigated

    All the best & my prayers go with you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.