Methotrexate 2.5mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, my boyfriend has been in severe foot pain since last November. He has been doing a lot of tests (MRI, bone scan etc). Back in February/March the professor was thinking that he could be suffering from Ankylosing Spondylitis, however after sending bloodtests abroad it was confirmed that it was a misdiagnose and the professor concluded that it is solely inflammation in the body. he ordered an injection for him by ultrasound in his feet, and the doctor that did it told him that he had waterbags near his heel with fluid coming from the same inflammation. he was ok for about a month with the injection with no pain however it started hurting again after a couple of weeks. this morning he had a followup appointment with his professor and he has ordered him Medhotrxate 2.5mg 1 pill once a week cause he told him he has arthritis. I am not sure if the diagnose is correct, he is 32 years old. I was a bit shocked about the side effects that this pill can create and also reading the actual use of this pill (cancer). does anyone here take this pill and can provide me with more details about this?

Thanks 

Analise Malta 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Analise methotrexate has been widely used for treating rhematoid arthritis for over 20 years. 2.5mg is a small  dose. He should be having regular, usually monthly blood tests to check for effect, including unwanted ones. The drug interfers with a vitamin called folic acid.  Most people on methotrexate take a supplement of folic acid once  a week, several days after the methotrexate  Some people can not tolerate gastrointestinalside effects of oral methotrexate and have it by injection. Methotrexate may be given with other disease modifying drugs.   It appears to be very effective to slowing down the progression of conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis for many people. 
  • Posted

Hi Analise,

2-5mg methotrexate is very low.  I think he should take it.  It can prevent a lot of damage happening later on.  Taking when he's been recently diagnosed is good.  I don't think that low dose will hurt.  And can help a lot.  Good luck to both of you.

• Posted

thanks for your comments. we would like to get a 2nd opinion from a hospital/clinic in UK or any other place in Europe. can you advise of any good ones please?Thanks 
  • Posted

2.5 mg MTX weekly is a very tiny dose. Don't pay attention to what you're reading about MTX - obviously you're reading information for cancer patients, not RA patients. Cancer doses are much, much, much higher than the dose given for autoimmune arthritic diseases.

"Inflammation in the body" is hardly a diagnosis. They need to find out exactly what it is. Presumably he is being treated by a board-certified rheumatologist.["Professor" is a vague term - not sure exactly if he's an MD or not, or if he's board certified in Rheumatology.]

• Posted

MTX SHUTS down the immune system much like it was used for cancer to shut down the immune system. in RA the immune system attacks the body as the defense system go into overdrive causing damage to the bones. MTX is used to slow down that process and remission is possible. it's original use was for cancers until it was used for RA. PSA psoriasis and many other autoimmune disorders...

CHEERS

HOPE

• Posted

See a great discussion online webmd. They go thru all the treatment side effects and more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.