Methotrexate

Posted , 7 users are following.

My husband recently passed away after having rheumatoid lung disease a nd arthritis it happened so quickly everyone was shocked. I believe methotrexate should have been stopped earlier this year when lung function tests were showing big deterioration. Anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Again, so sorry for your loss.. 

I have a slightly different story which may have relevance as you seek for some understanding about his treatment.

I developed a cough after having a biologic for the first time- whilst still taking methotrexate for the year previously. I was taken off the biologic. Two consultants couldn't agree about whether to stop mxt or not. My own consultant said not. I had a CT scan which showed fibrosis . I had a respiratory appt with a consultant. It was explained to me that they could tell it was RA fibrosis not caused by mxt in my case. But I m not quite sure how ! Fortunately for me it has not got worse. I am still on mxt and another biologic which holds back the disease. I don't have a cough or trouble breathing though quite a bit of lung is affected. I am very fortunate.

i looked into RA related lung fibrosis at the time. It can happen before even other symptoms show.  It s much more common than people realise as sometimes it's only discovered when someone passes away- having not got to severe symptom stage.

there is a lung problem linked to mxt and one as a symptom of RA. Maybe it's not always easy for the medical world to work it out. Maybe you could chat to his consultant ? It s such an important part of grief to unde stand what was leading to your husband passing away as there s always that question in the back of the mind as to if things could have been different. I do hope you find some peace and help at this time.

• Posted

Hi June, so sorry to hear of your loss.  I came very close last July to losing my own life. Respiratory consultant says methotrexate was the cause. It was very scary, and continues to be so, as I do not know the extent of the damage.  Awaiting follow up appointment. I wish you well 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.