Methotrexate

Posted , 7 users are following.

Two weeks ago I developed a sinus infection and my doctor had me stop taking my methotrexate injection while I took the antibiotics. I skipped my weekly injection twice while finishing the antibiotics. I was expecting the pain to be bad without the shots, but  a strange thing happened. I am completely pain free and am shocked to feel this good without the shot. I will call my doctor tomorrow and ask about stopping the shots. I see no reason to take methotrexate if I feel pain free. 

Six months ago I asked the question "does anybody ever go into remission" He told me there might be a possibility of stopping the drug. Has anybody here ever had the disease go into remission? 

Feeling good and hoping to get off this drug.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I've had RA almost 10yrs. Was diagnosed as sero positive. I was put on methotrexate tablets first, then swapped to injections due to the nausea. I only lasted approx a year on mtx before needing to try something else. I chose to go on Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) and this seems to have not only managed my RA well but after being told by my rheumatologist that I was "possibly in remission"...then next visit " we can safely say you're in remission"...I decided to ask if I could come off the medication. It was agreed I could and for me to see how I got on and that I could always go back on if I got worse. That was roughly a year ago and I have done really well I think. It's only been in the last couple of months that I've had some noticeable swelling and pain in my ankles and feet and some twinges of pain in other joints. I'm due to see the consultant in August so will discuss things with him then. I know I have to be sensible and go back on meds if necessary. I was told remission is always the goal but not everyone achieves it and it doesn't always last forever. The thought of being off meds is wonderful but not so the thought of permanent damage to joints etc.

• Posted

Hi Raymond, I've had RA for 27 years now and never been lucky enough to go into remission, tried most of the drugs going and had a bad experience with methotrexate, ended up with fibrosis of the lung, so if you don't need to take I would suggest you give it a go without it, all arthritis drugs have nasty side effects so if you can get along painfree without any that would be great, give it a try, there's always the option of going back on them if you have pain again, they can't force you to take the drugs it's your decision. If you start to get some pain maybe try something natural, like turmeric, I find that very good for inflammation. Good luck, hope your remission continues.

• Posted

What kind of MTX dose were you on, Beverley? And for how long?
    • Posted

1.0 ml a week. I have been on this dose for one year. 
    • Posted

I was on 5mg once a week along with etanercept, probably about 2 years, I can't really remember exactly, they said the lung problem was more likely to be due to the arthritis but stopped the methotrexate and changed it to sulphasalazine, since learned lung problems are a common side affect of methotrexate. No one is going to admit it.

• Posted

Hello Raymond,  yes, i went into remission without drugs- i read a great deal about R.A. And as i have always treated myself with alternative remedies, i did the same when diagnosed.  various herbs, spices, minerals, vitamins.  After six months of this, and changing to a healthier diet with a great deal of cold pressed olive oil, i went slowly into remission.  

I have stayed that way for about 2 years. Its with me, but no pain.  I do also have ME, 

which complicates it- but  have learnt to live with that for 18 years. 

The drug side effects scared me too much to attempt them. And i am glad i managed, well,  so far, without.  I do hope you manage to go into remission somehow.

• Posted

You're one of the lucky ones! It's very unusual to have been able to into remission without drugs, but I have heard of it, though I doubt your very gentle diet will have made much of a contribution as such.

I was already on a healthy diet diet that included "herbs, spices, minerals, vitamins, and a great deal of cold pressed olive oil" even before I got sick. Later my supplements were jacked up especially to mitigate the side effects of the drugs.

I have two friends with RA who went spontaneously into remission for several years. A third dealt with it with a rigorous diet, much stricter than yours.

I've recently been put back on a 10mg weekly dose of MTX and am nervously toying with the idea of taking on a new line of drugs called XELJANZ (tofacitinib citrate).

Has anyone here used it or even heard of it?

• Posted

Hello, i did write a reply, not really very long, and pressed the blue ‘reply to raymond’ but am wondering if i should of pressed somewhere else?  Will try again as cant see amywhere else to press!   I cannot imagine i wrote anything that would not of been permitted! 
  • Posted

Hello, i did write a reply, not really very long, and pressed the blue ‘reply to raymond’ but am wondering if i should of pressed somewhere else?  Will try again as cant see amywhere else to press!   I cannot imagine i wrote anything that would not of been permitted! 
  • Posted

Hello, i must of done something wrong earlier.  Basically, i wrote that yes, a remission is possible. I never went on drugs, i read a great deal about the side effects, and decided to take alternative remedies. Herbs, spices, especially turmeric and ginger, and a lot of cold pressed olive oil, minerals, vitamins.  After six months the R.A. Went into remission slowly.  It has now been two years, and have little pain. I also have had ME for 18 years, so i do get tired, but it is managable. So there is always hope!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.