Methotrexate

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had anyone experienced canker sores in mouth quite often while on Methotrexate?  I have been taking this drug since September 2017.  Seems that in the past month plus, I have been getting sores in my mouth more that normal.  Should I be concerned?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I assume you have been given folic acid to take alongside the methotrexate? If you haven't, you should have (it helps avoid some but not all of the side effects of methotrexate, it should prevent the mouth ulcers). If you are taking some it may not be enough. Speak to your doctor.

• Posted

I would get it checked out if I was you I never had that when I used to take them hope this helps
  • Posted

Absolutely! I take a folic acid pill “everyday” for that very reason. Believe me, whoever prescribed Methotrexate should have prescribed folic acid. Make the call
  • Posted

Yes definitely I have been on it 16 yrs now and now and again I break out in spots or mouth ulcers usually as I have forgotten my folic acid I take 30 mg per week i inject my MTX Thursday and take 10 mg of folic Sunday monday Tuesday

If I have a break out I take an extra 5 mg for a few days which usually helps

• Posted

I had some pretty bad sores for the first 8 or 9 months and eventually they disappeared completely. By the time they were gone, my dosage had been increased. Hopefully you will experience the same. 
  • Posted

Yes I got the sores after had taken this for several weeks. The Dr. increased my folic acid to twice a day-once in morning & once at night. But I am taking Prednisone also. So the Dr. cut this back to 1½ pills in the morning instead of two. And that did the trick for me. So I guess it was more Prednisone than methorexate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.