Methotrexate and Amitriptyline please share your experience

Posted , 6 users are following.

My Rhuemy is starting me on five 2.5mgs Methotrexate once a week and 25mgs Amitriptyline at bedtime. I am also to take a 1mg tablet of Folic acid once a day. All this for Arthritis I am feeling a liitle blue about this new addition to my regular meds. The info online about the MTX is pretty negative. Please share with me your experiences and advice concerning this type of therapy.I am grateful to have you ladies to turn to.

Thanks,

Sally

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well I don't have oseoarthritis arthritis but my arthritis has no RF! I don't have RA! I have Psoriatic arthritis! If you have had difficulty having children or acne as a grown up or are hairy, or very painful periods or swelling and it's been called oseoarthritis then it's PsA. If you have pain it's almost certainly oesoarthritis, my husband has pain, with 'oseoarthritis' but with a very strong hisory of Rheumatism! His Grandmother was told she had RA but seeing her Aunt who lived with pain until she was 102 and his mother until her 100 birthday! I'm not sure it was RA! GP has refused hubby the tablet! I took 7.5mg and it changed my life overnight! The consultant said it doesn't work that quickly but I know it did I'm the person who took 3 little tablets. Be brave if you can take the tablet please tell me in 4 weeks time if it has helped. I know there is a very long list of horrible problems, I inject 25mg and I have never had any of them. However if you are still unsure either don't take the tablet or if you can cut the tablet in 2! I know they are tiny! But if your brave please tell me! Did your GP suggest a folic acid tablets? 
    • Posted

Pam,

I forgot to mention my Dr. has me on 1mg of Folic Acid a day. Do you know what this is for?

Thanks,

Sally

• Posted

Hi Pam,

Thank you so much for your reply and words of encouragement. I am taking a small vacation next week so I plan to start the MTX when I return. My goal is to power thru the side effects and reap the benefits of the medication. (That is my plan) It is comforting to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks again,

Sally

• Posted

Sally well done, you sound American in the UK we say vacation? However it matters not please do tell me how you get on!!! 
    • Posted

Yes it's necessary to stop the MTX from making you anaemic Folates leaves like green veg or salads of any kind. To be really healthy exercise eat what my consultant suggests a Mediterranean style diet with fruit and veg, olive oils and natural sugars not refined but unless you have high BP you need some as I certainly listen to my body and eat what it tells me! As I have joints that bend too called EDS I do need sugar but try and eat in fruit or seed bars as a mid day snack. If your double jointed then you do need to tell your GP! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.