Methotrexate and hair loss

Posted , 6 users are following.

My daughter is 15 years old with rheumatoid arthritis and her hair was slightly falling out before starting Methotrexate about 7 weeks ago.  But the amounts of hair in the shower after she's finished is scary.  I haven't expressed how concerned I am to her, but she is worried.  I can't stand that she needs such a strong drug to control her inflammation.  It's not fair.  I am going to take her to a naturopath to possibly stop the drugs and start with natural supplements to help with her inflammation.  At 15 and a female, your hair is extremely important.  She has long beautiful hair and it seems to be breaking off and falling out in clumps.  I've written down everything you guys have said for the suggestions as far as shampoos and supplements, etc.  I'm so concerned.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

do not come of mtx because she will be in agony with in a short time i no because thats what i did and ì regret it if some one had told me what would happen i would not have come of it would i go back on it no because i no if i get fed up takeing it i no what happens if you do i also have r a wish her all the best

• Posted

Kathleen

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter having RA.  I know many have it, but always hope it is later in life. My only suggestion is to gather all the info you can and make your own decisions based on the info.  I applaud you for trying the naturopath, don't rule out accupunture and Chinese herbs, but in the end, it is a personal decision. The accupunture and vitamin supplements have allowed me to go off MTx but I'm certain that isn't true for everyone. 

Best and Blessings

Lynda

• Posted

Thank you Lynda and Leslie.  She was diagnosed with RA at the young age of 2.  It has been a battle.  I appreciate your comments and your advice.  I agree that it is a personal decision.  It's a tough decision though.

• Posted

Awww so sad at such a young age, I also hate being on methotrexate and am seriously thinking of trying something else, my hair has suffered also, I had to come off methotrexate a couple of months back as my enzymes were raised in my liver so I have had a rest then back on it last week, my hair was just getting nice again and now I am dreading it happening again, I wonder if this happens with everyone whose on it? It is a chemotherapy drug at the end of the day in extremely small doses but it still manages to do that, I feel so down as my hair has always been my best asset in my opinion, but bless your daughter having this alwful disease at her age, I do hope she gets sorted out with a better medication with less side effects
    • Posted

Thank you Shirlee.  My daughter believes her best asset is her hair as well.  I wish you all the best with you journey.
  • Posted

Yes I can  understand trying everything possible that is nautral before the methotrexate! I was 49 when I started it, but it has helped my psorasis a ton............. Draw back is my hair has suffered badly. I wish you the best & keep us posted if she finds something else that works for her. Blessings to her...

• Posted

This has broken my heart a little reading this. I too suffer hair loss with the MTX and at your daughters age I would have been mortified. Actually I am mortified at my age. When I first starting taking it, it was falling out in clumps and my beautiful long hair had to be cut short and even then I had to buy a wig. It then stopped falling out for about a year and the last few months I've been under a lot of stress and I actually have to unblock the plug hole halfway through washing my hair so the water goes down and then unclog it at the end. The stress is passing and the hair loss is lessening.

Apart from the hair what your daughter and yourself and family have had to cope with is harsh. What I would say though is although very anti MTX in the beginning I would now support it because it does work for me. I've had to be taken off it at times due to infection and within 3 weeks I'm almost screaming to be put back on it.

By all means explore all avenues but my advice would be the pain far outweighs the hair loss and as you can see from above for me the hair loss comes and goes. There are some companies that do fantastic wigs that do not look like wigs for between £20 to £40. If the mtx works for your daughter these are a good investment and just think, she can be long blonde hair one day, red the next, brunette bob......I know that doesn't make it easier but beauty comes from within and I haven't had to wear a wig for over a year. Actually sometimes I wear one for fun! Get your daughter a really good hairdresser. Mine works my cut into my hair loss when it is happening. Most people don't have bald patches... It is more 'thinning' and 'breakage' I wish I could help more but the bottom line is trying to get your daughter as pain free and comfortable as possible and then learning to deal with any side effects. Some people swear by natural remedies but myself it's an evil disease and unfortunately that needs heavy treatment.

I wish your daughter, yourself and your family well and so hope you can find something that makes life better for you all

Bless you

Lisa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.