Methotrexate and impotence

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 37, and have been taking 20mg/week of Methotrexte for my psoriatic artritis. The doctor told me this was the \"gold standard\" of treatment, and I needed it to make sure my joints didnt get damaged. To be fair, it has helped with some of the pain & reduced flares, but I can't put up with the side effects any more.

Methotrexate has made me impotent, giving my wife and me extra problems. I am angry that I was not warned about this side effect, but a quick google search for methotrexate impotence shows me that it is not unusual. I hope and pray it reverses now I am coming off of methotrexate. I will also be glad to see the back of other side effects like ulcers in my mouth feeling washed out and wooly headed.

I see from this site that women taking methotrexate are suffering early menopause without being warned. I think the warnigs for this treatment need changing.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I had impotence and lack of sex drive when taking metho. I think it is poison. I am now on a biologic treatment (infliximab) for a while, and things are getting back to normal. inflximab is a lot more expensive thn metho, so you may have to fight!. Metho gave me a constant headache and I felt knackered so bad that I could not work. This is why they changed me to inflximab. Don't forget they should be treating YOU, not just your artritis. Good luck!

• Posted

I have been on oral methotrexate for almost 10 years and on injections for last couple of months. Whilst on the oral methotrexate I experienced many side-effects including nausea, lethargy and loss of sex drive (and for me and my partner - this was a killer).

Haven't been as bad since moving to injections. It's not that I can't perform, more that I don't want to (due to loss of sex drive and lethargy). Have to get bullied into the sack some days (which I suppose is fun).

Good luck to the OP.

• Posted

Thanks for this information I have been on 15 milligrams of methotrexate for the past 18 months and was told just the same as you. Gold standard treatment for arthritis etc and again like you not told of the side affects. I have gone from being highly sexual to zero libido and completely impotent in that time. Stoped taking methotrexate as of now sincerely hope i get back to my normal self. Thanks again kind regards.
    • Posted

Hi Stephen.  My boyfriend has recently stopped taking methotrexate due to impotence problems.  Can I ask how long you stopped it before your sex drive started again? Sorry for the very personal question but can't find an answer in any forums. Thanks in advance.  Regards Helen 

• Posted

Agreed!

My Dr didn't seem too concerned with the side effects and did not warn me. After doing my own research, I'm like wtf!?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.