Methotrexate and sleep

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with RA and prescribed MTX (methotrexate) my does goes up from 10 to 15 mg this week.

My problem is I used to quite happily get along on 6 hours sleep a day.  Now its nearer 8 hours and not always in one complete session.

Not sure if its relevant but I am in my late 50's   

Is this normal ?? 

Thanks in advance for the replies

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

I don't take MTX but I take a drug similar for my RA. What I can tell you is that the 2nd most awful thing about RA in general (for me anyway) and only 2nd to the pain, is the fatigue associated with it. I don't know if it's your medication or just the RA causing the need for sleep. I don't sleep a full night either due to waking up to pain and stiffness in my hands, but even when I DO get what should be 'enough' sleep, I'm still always tired. How long have you been on the MTX? It may just need to take awhile to get into your system and work the way it should. I've been on it for almost 4 months and I'm still waiting.

• Posted

I have only started it just over a month ago. I know it will take time to get into my system properly, then it can attack the pain. Fatigue was never really a problem before.
    • Posted

Oh, well then you have some time for things to improve for sure. When I first got on Leflunomide, my Rheumy told me it would take at least 3 months to *start* taking effect. Then when the 3 month mark hit and I was still miserable, he changed it to SIX months. I see him on the 26th of this month and he better not tell me a year now. smile I did just get increased from a 10mg dose to 20mg a week ago. I feel like things are getting worse more than better, but we'll see how it goes at the appointment. I hope you get some steady sleep Shelly! You are very fortunate that fatigue doesn't appear to be a big symptom for you. Be grateful for that!
  • Posted

I was on just mtx for 9 of the 11 years I've had RA (currently on enbrel plus 10mg of mtx). If I remember correctly it took about 8 weeks to start having a noticeable effect on my RA and another few weeks for it to kick in properly. I started off on 7.5mg then gradually increased to 20mg over the years because it was becoming less effective as time went on. Can't say I noticed much difference in fatigue as the dose was increased, I think fatigue is more likely due to the disease rather than mtx but difficult to be certain about this as mtx and other meds affect people differently. 

• Posted

This sounds more like an RA problem than an MTX one.

Fatigue (at dfferent times of day) is one of the symptoms. Sometimes it's worse than the pain.

There are times I want to go back to bed about 3 hours after waking up. Grrrr.

• Posted

Oh I am SO glad to hear someone else bring up the fatigue! I was beginning to think I was a lone wolf on that one. And you are right, Light; the fatigue seems as bad, if not worse than the pain. It really is effecting me with never really feeling I have any energy. I find myself getting depressed and anxioius because I never seem to really feel alive and awake anymore. I wish the drugs did something for that particular symptom. Mine certainly isn't.
  • Posted

Thanks to everyone so far. I would say I doubt its an RA problem as I have had it for a long time but only offically diagnosed recently hence the reason for taking mtx.

The sleep problem only sems to have started since the MTX was prescribed.

• Posted

Have you looked up the side effects of MTX? Interrupted sleep may be one of them, Shelly. I always look at different sites for side effects because I end up finding new ones that I didn't orginally see on other sites and realize that something I'm dealing with is actually a side effect of the drug. Good luck to you. I hope you can get some needed rest!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.