Methotrexate and Smouldering Myeloma

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am currently on 15mg of Prednisolne which helps a difficult eczema like condition, to mitigate the long term effects of steroids my dermatology consultant suggested looking at Methotrexate.

I have Smouldering Myeloma (diagnosed in 2011) and I am concerned that Methotrexate may move me from a smouldering condition to full Myeloma. My haematology consultant has said there is no known case of this happening but cannot guarantee it won't happen.

Has anyone any experience in this area or any comment on extended use of Prednisolone at 12 to 15mg per day.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

No Doctor will guarantee anything lol. Thats how they work. I have Lupus so I dont know your condition but I WAS on Predisone 20mg and it made me nuts....aggressive and restless and for me Methotrexate is a better solution. I had a severe rash, very painful and the methotrexate took that away. It can make you nauseaous but the good outweighed the bad in my case. Good luck and make sure you have regular tests for liver function. We all seem to react differently on these drugs. 
  • Posted

Andy,

. I'm on both 15 mg prednisone and 25 mg methotrexate now. My rheum told me that recent studies have shown no more risk at 15 mg prednisone than there is at 10 ( the old recommended max for extended use) for my weight (190).

. I haven't had many effects from the prednisone. It does cause sleep problems, but that is manageable. I do have a bad day after taking methotrexate, but the other 6 are fine. My bad day consists of lethargy, brain fog, and muscle fatigue. But That is the primary drug for the myositis, so there's not much getting around it.

Fly Navy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.