Methotrexate and Sulfasalzine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Anyone have any views or experience of taking Methotrexate and Sulfasalzine at the same time, the Rheumy has just added Methotrexate to my Sulfasalzine, just wondering if I should be worried, side affects etc, thanks.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I didn't notice anything. I wait until a symptom develops before reading side effects. I have such an active mind I would imagine having all of them!

• Posted

I have taken both for nearly 2 years( diagnosed 2 yrs 3 months ago. I have been fine on both- no feeling sick, just some mild hair loss and feeling a bit of brain fog on the mxt day.

But actually for  me a third dmard was added and then a biologic as didn't improve enough with 2 DMARDS ( mxt and sulfasalazine )

2 DMARDS is a very standard approach to holding back the disease as it s been shown to be more effective than using 1. Many people find mxt really works for them. But some folks do have side effects which may or may not be got round- ( eg change time of dose/ pattern of folic acid/ ) so it s a case of try it and see how you get on. The monthly blood tests mean they monitor how you are. But the mxt takes up to 3 months to see if it works.

Hope it works well for you.

• Posted

Thanks, I have been told it takes 3 months to kick in, I read side effects and they sounded a bit scary, I probably should have avoided reading them.
    • Posted

How do you know if it's helping? I'm on both too.  Do some of you take it at different times, or days?  I'm every day and take together then other half of Sulfasalazine with dinner. 

• Posted

Yes mphooey is right! - better not to read them unless there s a problem!

• Posted

I haven't started it yet, I was told I would take it once a week on the same day as well as the Sulfasalazine that I take twice a day, as my RA isn't being controlled.

• Posted

Yes I think that's right but they gave me a leaflet to read and I've looked online, which probably I shouldn't of done, I don't start them for another 2 weeks until my GP is informed.

• Posted

Hi Veronica,

I take bith, after I had to stop taking MTX plus Orencia due to infections from the Orencia. I was already on the mts for years, and adding the Sulasalazine has caused no problems. Mtx is stronger, and will probably take longer to get used to, it makde me very tired in the beginning--and that was a low dose orally-=and now I am on the maximum dose and inject it.

Good luck. Stay in touch with your doc!

Barbara

• Posted

Thanks, I have been on Sulfasalazine for a long time but am having regular flare ups, so they are adding Methotrexate, they say I'll start with low dose orally if I'm ok with it I'll stay on it, if not I may get injections, I'm just a bit worried about side effects.

• Posted

I have had no major problems with MTX, except getting used to it in the beginning. Lots of  fatigue, but now, I couldn't live without it. But am still looking gor much more help, as it's not enough.

I now have Sjogrin's and some RA disease in my lungs, probably from so many upper respiratory infections while on  Orencia.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Barbara, I find the fatigue is the worse symptom of RA to cope with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.