Methotrexate "bad day"

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

?    I was prescribed methotrexate injection (25 mg) weekly after having gastro issues with Cellcept and Imuran.  I have been on it for 3 years.  I am also on daily folic acid and Leucoveran.  I have always had what I call a bad day after my injection.  3 to 6 hours after the injection, i start feeling very tired, malaise, and brain fog.  This lasts for for 18 to 24 hours.  i have no nausea.

?.   Anyone have similar side effects and are there any remedies?  I have a couple of auto-immune diseases and expect to be on this long term, so any advise would be great.

Fly Navy

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Scott, I am going to the injectable version next week and I am on 15mgs per week Currently and  I get nausea and severe fatigue a few hours after I take it for about 24-36 hours and  Camomile tea (plain) helps a lot to calm my stomach. You are on a higher dose so I imagine its way worse. Good luck and just remember you aren't alone! Sunny

• Posted

Scott,

You might google Mucinex-DM (its only the "DM" that helps) and its effects on Methotrexate "blehs".  Yep, that's the word they use.  I take one with my injection and then one 8-12 hours later.  It has really helped me.  Once you are armed with the research, you can ask your doctor for his opinion.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.