Methotrexate failing, is biological drug easy to get?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have psoriatic Arthritis and have been taking methotrexate for 4 years, I inject instead of tablets because of bad nausea. I think methotrexate has lost its effect and I am hoping to be offererd a biological drug, my DAS score is 2.5 but all joints painful & life if rubbish very debilitated. 

Any advice would be helpful.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I was also on methotrexate but for just over a year , didn’t do that much for me and I too really suffered with nausea and depression for about 3 days after ! 

I’ve now been told I can go on Cosentyx which is a biological and doesn’t need to be taken with methotrexate ( which some biologicals do )

You should be able to move onto a biological now as you’ve tried the methotrexate etc , they’re not cheap hence why in the U.K. you can’t go straight into biologicals before trying methotrexate first . 

Good luck and be firm and insistent wth your doctor about wanting to try them or they’ll just keep you on methotrexate! :-)

• Posted

Thanks Richard, think your right about being firm. I’m being given prednisolone tablets for last 2 years which are horrible and make already anxious feeling worse. I told consultant that I’ve had to give my job up because of this and they don’t think that is bad enough!! 
  • Posted

Hi Jan 

Now I am not sure where you are or what the rules are where you are but I live in Shropshire and was advised by my rhumy that you had to have been on Two DMARDS before being considered for a Biological, You Rhumy has to apply to the local NHS Trust on your behalf, When mine applied for the one he wanted me to have it was turned down in favour of a different one, the choice was then mine either I accepted the NHS choice and if It did not work we could go back and ask for the one he asked for. The other option was to reject their choice and hope they agreed to give me the one of my rhumy but if they said no to that then I would be left with nothing. 

I had been on Sulfalazine for about 16months before adding methtrexate to the mix I was then on them for a good year or so. So as long as you have been on the DMARDS and your Rhumy is prepared to apply for the biological then it is down to the NHS trust. 

I hope that this is helpful 

best wishes 

Robert 

• Posted

Hi thanks for the info. I’m on methotrexate injection for because of severe nausea, I tried sulfasalazine but had to stop I couldn’t tolerating.  I had read you needed to try 2 dmards before being considered for anti tnf drugs. It all sounds a bit of a struggle trying to get drugs. Not good having aching joints all the time ruining your life. Will see what happens. Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi Jan 

It certainly is a very long process and not helpful when your in so much pain which I totally understand been there done that, and even though I am on Cimzia I still get a lot of pain so still on painkillers daily. 

Even biologicals can be trial and error, but you need to push your rhumy to get you on the right meds that work for you. 

All the best 

Robert 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.