methotrexate for crohns

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had crohns for 15 years and recent MRI has shown stricture and fistula. I'm now on methotrexate injections and wondered if anyone else has been on this treatment? Nausea is tough going and dread having the injection as it makes me feel so ill. Anyone else have experience of methotrexate?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracey 

I'm sorry you're getting those side effects.

Have you tried Aza or 6MP before you got put on Methotrexate?

I am on 6MP having had bad reaction to Aza and have been told Methotrexate is my next option if 6MP does no good. 

Is Methotrexate only administered by injection?

Wish you luck

Regards 

Pete W

• Posted

Hi, I've tried Aza previously but had a bad reaction. Methotrexate comes in tablet form too but nausea supposed to be worse that way! Crohns symptoms seem better but now feel worse with injection side effects!
    • Posted

hi pete no you can get methotraxate in tab form, i take 6 x 2,5 mg a week , they wanted me to inject myself at home, but thats a no no for me
  • Posted

Hi Tracey

I was on methotrexate and unfortunately it made me feel so ill I had to stop taking the injections.

I am on azathioprine at present, but I am starting vedolizumab this week.

This is by infusion. I found the methotrexate didn't help my crohns either.

Speak to your medic who prescribed this, it can be harsh on the stomach.

hope things get better.

• Posted

Thanks, I've just been trying to manage as best I can but the side effects are really getting me down! Waiting for my consultant appointment with gastro to come through where hopefully I can discuss different options.
  • Posted

hi tracy maybe give some help on this, i have had methotrexate injections for four months, 25mg per week,, i was tired and felt really sick after it, i was taken folic acid once aweek to help twith the sickness, it does make you feel ill, but i chrons went in remmison, and cramping and visit to the loo subsided, almost controlable, I continued with the injections, and after 16 weeks, i spoke to the consultant, he said all my bloods are looking good, and visits to the loo in control.

He wanted to put me on tablet form which i take 6 x 2.5 grms a week, i saw the doctor and she told me to take folic acid every day apart from my metotraxate day, which has helped with the sickness, i still get tiired on the days after, and usually suffer from aching joints, and sore mouth with a tongue that feels although it has glass in it, but apart from that im ok,  try too persevere with it, as i think it does get easier , hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

I see that Kim46236 has mentioned Folic Acid.

Has your doctor prescribed this for you?

I only had 10 injections before stopping but felt queasy with the treatment.

I did develop a liking of ginger biscuits during this time. They helped a lot to quell the nausea!

Hope things improve for you soon!

• Posted

Yes I have folic acid twice a week but I'm also taking anti sickness tablets now which help a little. Ginger biscuits do help too! Did you stop injections due to nausea or was that just the length of time you were on them?
    • Posted

Hi Tracey.

I stopped the Methotrexate because I hadn't seen any improvement.

I work in an environment where people don't think twice about coming into work with infections, colds, 'flu etc. and I was constantly on edge that I would pick something up that my body wouldn't be able to shake off.

To be honest it had got to the stage with my Crohns that the only option was surgery - which I had in April.

The diseased part of my terminal ileum had calcified and I had a fistula from that to my sigmoid colon.

I now have a temporary (I hope!) loop Ileostomy which will hopefully be reversed in the new year.

It's nasty to feel nauseous all the time and I hope tha

t you can find something to ease the symptoms soon.

• Posted

My son is due to start these injections Tuesday and has been prescribed an antisickness tablet aswell as folic acid day before injection hoping it doesn't make him too ill as aza and 6mp have made him violently sick. X
    • Posted

Anti sickness tablets have helped me a little. Hope it goes well for him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.