Methotrexate for eczema?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone tried methotrexate for eczema?

I have read that methotrexate has been very effective for eczema long term especially as maintenance treatment. Desperate to relieve my genital eczema, the doctor prescribed it for me. It is powerful and potentially dangerous so I get blood labs every two weeks for first two months to make sure it isn't going to shut down my liver.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I took methotrexate for about 2yrs to treat severe eczema on my hands and feet. It is a very powerful drug, and is usually one of the last resort treatments. I had been suffering severe eczema that was having a significant impact on my life (I wasn't sleeping much because of the discomfort etc.) and had tried numerous different prescription ointments to no avail. Methotrexate worked wonders for me, and my body seemed to tolerate it quite well (the only real side effect I had was that it made me feel very tired the day I took it. I just made sure I took it on a day that I wasn't working, and made sure I didn't schedule much for that day of the week). After my skin had healed, I very slowly reduced the dosage and eventually went off the medication altogether. I've been methotrexate-free for a few years now, and when I get the occasional blister or patch of eczema, I am able to control it with a steroid ointment. I'm still very careful about the chemicals that my skin comes into contact with, and I use a LOT of moisturiser, but my skin is so much better and my quality of life restored.

I know everyone is different and everyone reacts differently to medications, but methotrexate certainly worked wonders for me. I think if you're anything like me and absolutely frustrated with your eczema and unable to find relief from other treatments, definitely give the methotrexate a try. You can always stop the medication if you begin to suffer severe side-effects.

• Posted

If your question was what dose was I taking, I started on 15mg (6 x 2.5mg tablets) and gradually reduced the dose when my symptoms disappeared (under the advice of the dermatologist)

• Posted

hi

i have really bad eczema, suffered for years i also take methrotrexate which has proved successful , i only take a small amount once a week, but also take folic acid 3 times a week.get blood tests regularly. i hope you get some information on the effects of this medication. i suffered for years before taking this medication. good luck.

• Posted

What dose were you taking?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.