Methotrexate for GA

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have GA over about 60% of my body, for approximately 3 years. In the past, I've had episodes of GA that spontaneously resolved. In the past year, I've tried (with no success) 3 months of PUVA, 3 months of dapsone and 3 months of another med that I can't recall the name of at the moment.

My derm doc has now prescribed methotrexate but I haven't started taking it yet. I've done some reading on it (of course) and it seems risky.

Has anyone tried it, and if so, how were the side effects and how were the results?

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you.

Tracy

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Tracy,

For my GA, my Dermatologist gave steroid shots. I have received them for the last several months with positive results so far. My dad had Rheumatoid Arthritis and was prescribed Methotrexate. He ended up with cirrhosis of the liver and his doctor felt that the Methotrexate was the contributing factor. He never drank. In my opinion, after watching my dad suffer terribly, I would **USE EXTREME CAUTION WITH METHOTREXATE... I hope my response helped..

Debbie

• Posted

Thanks Debbie.

Your response is part of my concern with that drug. I don't want clear skin if it's at the risk of my liver!

Tracy

• Posted

Hi Tracy, I'm so sorry to hear of your ordeal. I've never tried Methotrexate for my GA. My derm has told me that there is nothing that will cure GA, that science doesn't yet know anything about what causes it, other than to say that it could "possibly" be related to the thyroid somehow but there is no proof yet and no studies about that. She told me it will usually just go away on its own but can last upwards of 5 years, sometimes more, but usually resolves at some point completely. I've had mine for 5 years, and thought it went away the past 5 months, but it just returned with 2 new spots, even though they're still in the same general area. That was the longest I'd ever gone without the rash so I thought I was in the clear. It's highly frustrating, I know. I'm really sorry to hear that yours covers so much of your body, that's just ridiculous!!! Someone has got to figure out this annoying & embarrassing condition. I'm always embarrassed if I try to go to a pool especially, because I'm sure people are thinking I have ringworm! Ughhh Good luck with the meds if you try them, but I'd definitely take that advice from Debbie about being cautious with the Methotrexate.

• Posted

Thanks Adrian.

It's so frustrating that there is no reason or cure for this!

• Posted

I as diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in 2010 and was prescribed Remicade by infusion and methotrexate. I stopped the methotrexate after about a year, just was not comfortable taking it due to the possible side effects. My rhemuatologist recommended Cosentyx pen by self injection monthly in December, 2018. A month after starting the Cosentyx (it's the commercial with Cyndi Lauper) I noticed my first GA lesion on the inside of my right knee. Coincidence ? I think not. I've read that many things can trigger GA....although my rheumatologist and dermatologist don't agree....neither do they agree that it is auto immune. It's spread on the back of my hands with the signature ringed spots with the flat centers, on my legs, arms and now my underarms flat red spots, and on the back of my upper thighs and upward, larger lump like lesions that look like acne. Those are easily concealed by clothing, but my hands are exposed obviously which i can somewhat conceal with makeup. I've noticed that exposure to the sun inflames my GA as does getting overheated and stress. I take tumeric capsules daily, vitamin D3, just started MSM crystals and a topical CBD oil. In reading the numerous posts, triggers and remedies are many, with no one silver bullet. I'm sure many patients take methotrexate with no side effects. It's worth a shot and your Dr should order regular blood work to check your liver function.....unfortunately, no alcohol.

• Posted

Thanks for the comments Blueiz. I'm sorry to hear that your meds triggered GA! You obviously had enough on your plate before that happened. 😦

• Posted

Hi have taking methotrexate and i like you had it all over my body.. i had the kind that was itchy . it did work along with a gluten free diet. I took 7 pills once a week and was a little tired that day . it took several months . But i am free of the ugly and itchy skin so worth it. Good luck i hope it works for you ad well.

soncerely Ann

• Posted

Thanks Ann!

I take it you've had no adverse reaction then?

Tracy

• Posted

i was lucky i did not have any problems taking. I did have my liver checked every month.

• Posted

Thanks Ann.

Did it help your GA? How long were you on the drug?

• Posted

Plaquenil is the other med that I tried, with no result

Tracy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.