Methotrexate for RA and Laser Treatments...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Interested to know if anyone taking Methotrexate for RA has been told they cannot have laser treatments such as laser hair removal due to the medication potentially making your skin photosensitive??

I have been told this by a clinic offering laser treatment, but its not something I was aware of.

Anyone else come across this?

Thaks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I know about the photosensitivity but haven't heard anything else but then, I haven't been looking at laser treatments.  Try asking the hospital pharmacist, or even telephoning the drug company who makes the MTX.  Your prescriber may or may not know.

The clinic may be covering their backs.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, that is what I am trying to figure out, if it's just the clinic covering themselves.

They did say though that most GP's dont tend to think about the possible effects and just advice patients its fine, where as in her opinion, it could lead to scarring.

It's probably a case of them not wanting to take the risk more than anything else.

• Posted

Everyone is litigation mad these days, so you can understand organisations wanting to cover themselves.

I would have understood if they had said you shouldn't have laser treatment if you were on steroids because steroids thin the skin so much.  But, as I say, try the drug company or hospital pharmacist

• Posted

The laser directs towards pigmentation in the hair therefore if you are dark skinned you can burn/damage your skin as the laser directs towards the pigmentation there, the laser only feels mildly hot therefore using it on broken skin is a no, however who's to say photosensitive skin isn't as sensitive as broken skin, find out exactly what laser they use and contact the drug manufacturer I doubt your ra consultant will know the answer. You'd also have to have a patch test as your on new meds, body will react differently even if you've had the treatment in the past, offer to sign disclaimer once your confident you want to go ahead 
  • Posted

MTX does make your skin more sensitive to light.

If I were you I would find out exactly what type [there are several light types] of laser it is, then call your rheumatologist and present that information for an answer.

I certainly wouldn't have it done until I had clearance from the rheumatologist.

• Posted

Doesn't it make sense that if the people doing the laser treatment are trying to cover their tushes, that they've had bad experiences in the past???

I wouldn't do it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.