Methotrexate, prednisolone and skin cancers.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I'd be so grateful for any replies from anyone who can help or may have shared similar problems. My lovely mum, now 86 was diagnosed with rheumatoid positive RA just over three years ago now and takes MXT 20mg and still on prednisolone 5mg. She also has other problems, atrial fibrillation and is on dignoxin and warfarin.

For some years, mum has had a small area on her head which comes and goes and is sometimes flaky. in the last few months, the area sometimes forms a little scab which falls off and then the area is gone for a while before it returns. in the last few weeks, the area has returned and this time, has formed a raised dark scab about the size of a little finger nail. a second area has also formed in another area on her scalp. The GP felt it was either a keratosis or basal cell carcinoma and referred to the dermatologist under the two week wait pathway.

Mum saw the consultant today but unfortunately, due to the scab, she has to go back for this to be scrapped off under local anaesthetic and cells examined before we know any more. Iv'e since read about links between MXT, prednisolone and skin cancers including squamous cell and melanoma and so in really now quite worried.

I wonder if anyone else has had any such experience and would be willing to share?

Thank you.

Paula

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paula I'm really sorry to hear of your mothers ill health, i sometimes wonder if all these drugs really help that much especially as we get older, just because her RA levels where raised it doesn't mean we need masses of toxic drugs because they don't cure RA they just supposedly slow it down, was your mum losing the use of her joints.

as for the skin lesions i would not worry till you get the biopsy results, my mother in law has loads of these recurring skin problems that come and go and after tests told they are not cancer.

shes 90 and now ignores them

• Posted

Hi Paula I'm really sorry to hear of your mothers ill health, i sometimes wonder if all these drugs really help that much especially as we get older, just because her RA levels where raised it doesn't mean we need masses of toxic drugs because they don't cure RA they just supposedly slow it down, was your mum losing the use of her joints.

as for the skin lesions i would not worry till you get the biopsy results, my mother in law has loads of these recurring skin problems that come and go and after tests told they are not cancer.

shes 90 and now ignores them

• Posted

Hi PAULA, i was diagnosed 2 years ago. I also use coumadin, methotrexate, & plaquenil, sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. That being said, don't borrow trouble. Since starting the meds, I have lots of skin issues....super dry scaly skin, bumps, bruises, & lots of patches. I pray that is all that it is. Please keep us informed & will keep you both in my prayers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.