Posted , 6 users are following.
Sorry in advance for the long post. I’ve been prescribed MTX but I think a little too soon for my symptoms, and I was looking to chat / get some advice really.
I was diagnosed with RA in Nov 2014 and put on 200mg of Hydroxychloroquine a day. At that point the pain was in my legs and right hand. In March 2015 my dose was increased to 200mg / 400mg on alternate days. By this point my left knee was causing the most problems, the main issue being quite painful to walk and straighten especially in the morning.
In July 2015 I went to see the consultant again and my dose wasn’t increased as by this point my hand was happily almost completely symptom free. My knee though was worse and I was sleeping badly due to the pain, morning stiffness was lasting over an hour, and I was feeling quite low and tired. However I think I was lucky in that I didn’t miss any days off work, didn’t need help dressing or bathing etc.
As usual I had blood tests, and went back in Sept for my next appointment. My consultant said that having looked at my blood results that she didn’t want to put me on MTX but would book me in for a steroid injection in the knee. I didn’t have blood tests during this visit.
I had the injection in Nov and I’ve been really blown away by how effective it’s been. Truly, I felt like I had a new knee. It also had a massively positive effect on my emotional and mental health. This lasted until the beginning of Feb when I had the beginning of pain in the morning and fluid on my knee again.
I went back for an appointment in Feb and was seen by a different consultant. I told her how much better I’d been feeling but she said I would now need to move on to MTX and I have a nurse telephone consultation on the 10th March, after which a prescription will be sent out. I had expected her to want further blood tests before making this decision as I had been feeling so much better and she was basing this decision on tests from July, which the previous consultant had already seen and decided against MTX. I was so disappointed and surprised I just accepted what she said and it was only afterwards that I started to question her decision.
I really don’t think I’m at the stage where I need this drug. I’m due to have another steroid injection which helped so much last time, and I really think the potential side effects outweigh the positives, given that I feel well most days. Currently my thoughts are that I’ll speak to the nurse on the 10th but say I don’t want to proceed.
Has anyone else been prescribed MTX when they’ve been feeling pretty well, and dealing with the symptoms well? Or am I being a fool to myself and should go ahead with this treatment?
0 likes, 5 replies