Methotrexate vs sulfasalazine??

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi, new to this. I was officially diagnosed with RA today and they doctor recommended these two for treatment (methotrexate and sulfasalazine). She suggested methotrexate as it seems to be the best. But I am terrified, and I mean TERRIFIED, of the side effects of both. I have a huge phobia of throwing up and would rather not take medication than taking it and getting sick. The doctor says the injections of methotrexate should help with the sickness but I read a lot of reviews on it and it seems people still get sick. Sulfasalazine seems to be the same but not as severe. The side effects of both just seem so awful. I have no idea what to do and am so scared. Any advice and shared experiences will be appreciated.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Samantha, I am lucky that I didn't have any side effects from MTX and it did control my pain after a time, unfortunately I had to take other meds too like Plaquenil and later Cimzia injections to reduce the inflammation and the combination led to liver problems and I am now off MTX and in more pain but hoping that the Cimzia (which is a biologic) will kick in soon. I know others have had side effects with MTX but it doesn't affect everyone the same. Your Rheumatologist should monitor you closely while on it with regular blood tests and take your folic acid as prescribed you should be OK. Good luck, your not alone in this and remember, if this doesn't work for you, try something else, reducing pain and damage is the reward.

• Posted

HI Samantha, I have been on MTX for 3 yrs. and have no problem.  When I started it I had a mouth sore but I take folic acid every day and don't have any more problem.  I take the pills.

• Posted

Hi Samantha.  I was recently diagnosed with RA and put on 10 mg. methotrexate once a week and folic acid every day.  I was only able to stay on it for two weeks because I came down with shingles and the rheumatologist told me to stop the methotrexate till the shingles cleared up.  During the two weeks that I was taking it, I felt no side effects.  The best thing to do is to try it and see what happens.
  • Posted

It's important to note that all RA meds may have terrible side effects, the operative word being 'may'.   Not everyone suffers side effects; remember, you only hear from those who do suffer side effects never from the vast majority of those who don't.   I inject two medications and take 12 others orally.   80% list nausea as a side effect, I do get nauseaous for a few hours after taking (not sure which is the culprit) and it is annoying but not debilitating, certainly not to the point of vomitting.   Ask you GP for something to combat the nauseousness if it becomes a problem.   Adding one more pill to the mix can only make you rattle a little more, but only if shaken. 

• Posted

I am on both and neither make me feel sick.

everyone reacts differently so it's just one of those situations where you ll have to try it and see how it is for you.

Online you are more likely to hear about those who have a problem with methotrexate than those who tolerate it well. 

• Posted

That's great news! And you're right, hear more about the negative than positive. Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Samantha. I too have a real and severe phobia of throwing up so I was scared too. Mtx did make me feel nauseous but I have never been sick. The body gets used it so after each dose increase I feel sick again for a few days a week. Due to my phobia, my GP now prescribes cyclizine which is very good because it actually stops you from throwing up. I probably don't need it, it just makes me feel safe!!!

• Posted

Thank you! How long after taking it did it make you feel nauseous? I'm so worried about waking up in the middle of the night feeling that way because then I'd have a panic attack, but no so much if I was awake.

• Posted

Hi Samantha

I was on methotrexate and I never felt nauseous or sick. I felt I was cured until I had to stop taking them through liver function rising. I was terrified of taking them at first. Now I am on Sulfasalazine and in pain. I would take them as it is the best. You don't want to have more damage to your joints. Good luck

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Honestly I know some do get bad side effects from MTX but so many more DONT! They just get less pain and less likely to end up 10 times worse. Every medication you have ever taken has side effects and have you reacted to all of them? I am sure if a drug you have taken for something else was on a forum you would hear horror stories about it! Your decision but I think its worth a try. You probably scaring yourself unnecessarily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.