MEthotroxate help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm hoping for some help.

I've been taking methotroxate now for 6 weeks for rheumatoid arthritis and although it has helped enormously with the pain I am suffering with my mental health quite badly from it.

I have previously suffered with depression although some years ago and all of a sudden I have hit the lowest I have ever felt.

I am wondering if it's due to the drug or just the situation and would really appreciate anyone else's history of this so I know how to handle this.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My doc has me taking folic acid 7 days a week and also Mucinex-MD is taken at time of MTX dose and then 8-12 hours later to help with the blehs you get the few days after. It has made a huge difference for me. If you aren't doing that, it might be something to explore. I'm sorry you are dealing with that as well as MTX!

• Posted

Thanks for your response but it's much worse than feeling bleh! 

Im also taking folic acid but that seems to make no difference.

im very down, worse than ever before and I'm wondering if it's a side effect of the drug maybe? 

• Posted

I know how you feel. Its kind of scary and no one really seems to get that. Its probably a combination of the drug and your illness.  Confide in a friend and look for support groups in your area.  Talking and venting really does help! Even these forums help me to not feel so alone in this struggle. Can you reply so I know you are ok?
    • Posted

Hi and thanks for your reply.

ive decided today to come off the methotrexate altogether as it obviously isn't agreeing with me at all.

i will be discussing alternative medications which hopefully I'll be better taking.

Thanks for your concern x 

• Posted

Dear Kirsty Please speak with your doctor before discontinuing to make sure its ok. Its a powerful drug. I'm glad you are ok. Please take care of yourself!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.