Methylcholine test this week

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all, I'm new to this group and dealing with asthma-like symptoms as yet to be diagnosed. I have a methylcholine test scheduled this week. I've read about it so I know what to expect, but I'd like to hear the subjective experience of some people who've actually been through it. Did it trigger an asthma attack for you? Were you exhausted afterwards? Was it scary? That sort of thing.

I have to drive about two and a half hours each way for the test in a different city, so that adds a whole extra dimension of stress. I booked a hotel room for the night after the test so I don't have to drive straight home. I think I'll be glad I did.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi

I had one a couple of months ago.  They carried out pulmonary function tests first to ascertain my lung function before the test, they hadn't told me that prior.  If the lung function was below 80% they told me they don't proceed as you will lose about 25% during the challenge.  I assume they told you to stay off all meds for 2 days beforehand or they won't proceed as the results will be skewed?

It is tiring, the pft's beforehand play a part or they did for me as I find them tiring by themselves.  You're wise to have booked accommodation but don't leave the hospital unless you are feeling 100%.  They are inducing an asthma attack but they also start you back on inhalers straight away after the test, it's about 20 mins if memory serves.

You'll do great just try not to panic, they know what they are doing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.