Metoprolol causing burning itching sensations for anyone else?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Since aobut 2 days in I have been experiencing a progression of itching and burning. I finally had ot change Dr to get off this med and it has been 5 days but I am still having the itching and burning. Anyone else? And what did you fo for it? I'm getting scared!

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there,

I've been having itching, burning, hives, chest pressure issues for over a month now.  They started when I was put on Correg and the reaction was so bad I ended up in the ER. Next day, they admitted me because I was at stroke level since my blood pressure had been uncontrolled for about a month before.  I ended up being placed on Metroprolol, my Losartan dose was increased, they added baby aspirin and Hydralazine.  This has been for the past 4 weeks and I'm miserable.  Everyone says get used to it and it'll pass but I'm sleepy, dizzy, having blurred vision, getting hives every other day, chest tightness and super lethargic plus I feel like I'm going crazy.  How can this be normal or okay?  And the burning, itching hands and feet is killer!  

• Posted

Look into histamine intolerance and see if that may have any relevance to you. I found out this may be why the beta blocker was making me so miserable.
    • Posted

Hi, Apart from the bbs, your losartan dose was raised, i do not know if you are in the uk -  it is very sunny here - losartan can be phototoxic, try 3 days, or even two, away from all light, draw curtains, and see if the burning goes or lessens. if so, this could be another explanation - losartan is a phototoxic drug, as are, for some, ACE. you have to avoid all light, even thru windows., the lethargic and chest tightness are, sadly, probably the beta blocker - i found the same.
    • Posted

been on bbs for years, for me,  it only gets worse. The itching is so bad, I thought I was going crazy
    • Posted

annie78444...you say "for some ACE you have to avoid all light, even thru windows". I hardly think there are any medicines out there who would restrict a patient to be in the dark because of medicines. While there are some bp medications that suggest one limits sunlight exposure, that's true even for those without bp meds. 

• Posted

omg, I t. thought I was going crazy.  When they gave me this poison I researched it and read really bad thing from reputable sources.  My Dr said if I don't I will certainly have a stroke and die.  He also said I was not over weight so losing weight probably wouldn't help.  This was my lifeline.  Fast forward 3 miserable years later and I am still taking this stuff.  My dr is sending me to a psych and all along it was this.  I have gained about 40 lbs, severely depressed, and almost killed myself.  The itching is so bad that I cry.  I had a feeling this was a contributing factor, but had forgotten all the research I did years ago.  I thought it was bcuz my mother and friend died, but now I see, its this stuff is a huge contributing factor!!! NEVER leaving my fate in a dr again.

• Posted

Thank you Tracy!  I had to add an allergy pill (otc form of Claritin) to my regimen and it's helped a lot but who wants to be on pills all the time?  I'm taking Losartan, Metoprolol and Hydralazine several times a day.  My cardiologist said we can't go off of them because it took so long to get me to a sweet spot.  Meanwhile-I've gained almost 20 lbs in 5 months.  This is for the birds.  Starting back to clean eating and light exercise to hopefully be able to get off of all of this poison.  It's SOOOOOOO depressing and frustrating.  

• Posted

I have since found out that I have histamine intolerance and the mainstream Dr.s do not know anything about that. About a week and a half after I got off the metoprolol the burning and itching stopped. The Dr. who had me on it would not believe the medication was doing this to me and tried her best to get me on antidepressants. I am so sick of these Dr.s
    • Posted

Good luck, I want to do the same. I am not a dr, but some things are good for bp, like hibiscus tea and cinnamon and ginger.  Let me know what you are trying. Where so you live?  I am in Greenville, SC and find the doctors too busy to do their jobs.  don't know why I pay them anything, I have to do all the investing for them.

• Posted

time2reclaim...what you describe sounds like a neurological problem. Itching/burning sensations in the skin are usually caused by the nerves being disturbed, or perhaps an allergy. Ask your Dr. to switch medications or for an appt to see a Neurologist.
    • Posted

It was histamine. Beta blockers are a bad idea for people who have a hard time clearing histamine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.