Metoprolol...Premature Atrial Contractions and Chest Pain.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am in my 70's and started having PAC's ( Premature Atrial Contractions) many years ago...10 or so. I went to see a heart doctor about them because the pounding in my chest was driving me crazy and he put me on Metoprolol and it really helped. After a few years I started developing chest pains when I exerted myself like walking up a hill or going up stairs, so I went to see my heart doctor and and he did treadmill tests other tests and found nothing so he suggested doing a heart catherization to see if I had blockages. They found about 15% blockage which he said was nothing for someone my age....but the chest pains continued and gradually got worse.

I decided to get a second opinion so I went to see a heart doctor at a University Health Center that was well respected and they wanted to do another heart cath....which still found the same slight blockage but nothing serious. The chest pains continued to get gradually worse over several years...so I suspected a lung

issue since I had a lung surgery when I was younger, so I went to see a pulmonary doctor and he did a bronchoscopy where they go into your lung and look around....it also looked fine.

All this took place over 5 or 6 years. I never suspected that motoprolol might be causing the chest pains and none of the doctors ever mentioned that it might be causing my problems.

Well here I am now....still having the chest pains and waiting to see my heart doctor again to confront him about the idea of motoprolol causing my chest pains all these years.

I would gradually stop motoprolol myself but the PAC's get so bad that I can not sleep so I am between a rock and a hard place.

Ain't life interesting?

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, Randy, life is so interesting ...caught "between a rock and a hard place".I hope you find your pathway to better health. I can relate because of similar problems taking amlodipine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.