Metoprolol & severe upper abdominal pain/reflux

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on 25mg metoprolol since 03/02/2021, for a one-time panic attack over a stressful situation. My BP had been 170 over 120 and pulse of 120. I now want to wean off because one thing that seemed to develop since taking this drug is horrible upper abdominal pain: solar plexus region to under my left rib cage. An ultrasound found no other possible cause for this; I am wondering if anyone else had this possible side effect from metoprolol??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Patricia

I was like you in that I had one incident of racing heart and high blood pressure due to a very stressful situation. I was prescribed Atenolol. I get the pain under my left side rib cage every day since taking Atenolol. My doctor tells me its my anxiety and won't look into it further. I also never had any other incidents of racing heart since the first time it happened.. Now I get them everyday. I also want to wean off my atenolol. I hope you get some answers.

• Posted

hey, this might be diaphragm pain as it is a skeletal muscle and BB side effects include muscle pain. I get this too.

• Posted

Anna,

What do you take for the pain ? what beta blocker are you on? i was told I could only take tylenol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.