Metoprolol to Cardizem (Diltiazem)?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ive been taking metoprolol for about 6.5 weeks and for about 2.5 weeks ive been taking 25mg of metoprolol succinate er twice daily. It was making me horribly depressed and anxious as well as giving me brain fog and cold extremities. The higher dose did allow my heart to rest in the 60s and 70s which was nice but i was still having a lot of moments where it would spike up. The doctor had me stop cold on monday morning and then take my first dose of cardizem tuesday morning. I woke up Tuesday morning (before pill) with a heart rate of 154 and shaking so bad. i took the cardizem and did breathing techniques and it came back down. im on 120 mg once daily for now. Yesterday and today my chest has been burning/hurting a little and my resting heart rate has been in the 80s and 90s now. its in the 120s + walking and woke up in the middle of the night tachycardic. has anyone else experienced this switch or anything similar? will the cardizem (Diltiazem)?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Sounds like your doctor did the same to you that my doctor did to me. I was on a BB for 6 weeks and was told to stop cold turkey. I went through 2 months of unbearable withdrawals. Since then, I have done a lot of research and found this forum and your never supposed to just stop BB, always taper. I'm almost 4 months since stopping and still having a few issues. Hopefully yours will settle down since you're starting on another medicine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.