Metoprolol Weaning off

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I have been taking 12.5 mg of Metoprolol for a year and a few months. I take it because I have sudden episodes of high heart rate, elevated blood pressure and shaking. I especially have them at night when sleeping and they wake me up. Two cardiologists told me I can start weaning off the medicine. One told me to cut the Metoprolol 12.5 mg to half for 3 days and then stop and the second cardiologist said just to stop because it's a small dose. I'm scared to stop because of all of things I read online about stopping a beta blocker. I'm also scared because I mainly have the episodes in the middle of the sleep, I have them even with the medicine and I'm scared it will be very bad without the medicine. I want to stop because of dizziness I experience and I'm hoping without the medicine it will get better.

Anyone stopped 12.5 mg after taking it for about a year? If so, how did you stop and did you have any symptoms once you stopped?

Also, the 12.5 is half of the 25 mg. The doctor wants me to cut the 12.5 into half and it's very hard because the pill is breaking. Any advise how to do it?

Thank you so much in advance!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.