Metoprolol withdrawals after 10+ years of use - emotional changes.

Posted , 2 users are following.

My doctor suggested to me (34M) I should withdraw metoprolol 25mg extended release, because of other health issues I've got that I won't go into right now. It's been prescribed for slight inappriopriate sinus tachycardia, that my doctor reckons I don't need beta blockers for anymore. First week of withdrawals was as expected -- heart palpitations, increased BP, especially on movement. I did expect this and after a week it was gone and my mind felt much more fresh. My memory improved, I felt sharper, more awake, less fatigued. Felt like I've succeeded.

Unfortunately, after about a month of withdrawal I've started experiencing racing thoughts and intense emotions, ones I haven't felt almost ever. I became much more irritable, everything in my life in general feels much more intense. I've started rethinking my past relationship, one that ended 4 years ago that I came to peace with and suddenly I'm not in peace with anymore. I don't really have high heart rate anymore and my BP is fine, but for the first time in my life I feel like I'm imprisoned in my mind due to these racing thoughts and inability to focus and overthinking things. Has anyone experienced this? Could it be linked? I honestly feel like I'm bipolar, unable to control my emotions at times, which is very uncharacteristic for me. I do not engage in risky behaviour or anything like that though, but certainly I feel unstable emotionally compared to before and it's driving me a little crazy, because it's an uncomfortable feel. Wonder if the hormones could be causing this. Again, this isn't something I'm known for and I don't recognise myself, just wondering if this could be linked to the withdrawals, as the timing fits perfectly.

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

im in WD from Atenolol and can defibiteky say that in a addition to many physical symptons, I also am aware of mood changes such as irritability, suicidal thoughts and anxiety. I know its part of this extremely miserable WD pricess that has been ongoing for a year now. I am not even off the med yet. 4 mg left to go

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.