metronidazole disorientaion and side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

i had to take the 'mega-dose" of metronidazole for trichomoniasis.. 4 500mg tablets at once about 3 months ago. 4 hours after taking them i had severe disorientation,didnt seem like i could control my arms and legs(mentally) but yet i could physically, dream like "fog",id drive my car and drive well like always but it didnt feel like i was the one driving...very scary.also alot of anxietyand crying for really no reason.

this mega dose did clear up the trichomoniasis.

after this treatment i developed a case of bacterial vaginosis and was prescribed metronidazole again but 1 500mg tablet twice a day for 7 days....i was told it shouldnt give me the same symptoms since its a lighter dose over a longer period of time. my doctor was wrong. same exact symptoms to the point where after day 2 and being a "mindless zombie" and always crying i had to stop taking this. it took almost 3 weeks for my mental acuity to return and feel like myself...but i ask this...

after 2 months stopping this medication...theres random times where i get the mental fog back, seem to mentally not control my limbs but yet physically i do,hard to concentrate at work...and i was ALWAYS 110% focused at work in the past. im beginning to believe theres some kind of lasting damage that comes to taking this medication. i like to be in full control of my body and mind and im still battling moments when the symptoms return but not as severe as when i was on the medication.

is anyone else dealing with these same issues?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am taking it right now and had iV form in the hospital. I am taking it for diverticulitis along with another antibiotic. The other one is giving me the problems I'm having though I think. I do get sick with this medication and rarely ever finish it.

• Posted

Gale this drug has ruined my life and my BRAIN .memory loss confusion drunk feeling and depersonalization ..my memory is totally gone so is my clear vision...among other crazy symptoms ...it is a living hell

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.