metronidazole for abcess in root canal

Posted , 3 users are following.

****hoping someone is here for advice, we all know toothache is terrible especially when it hardly lets up. had a root canal in a large bottom tooth 20 years ago, the gold filling fell out about 2 weeks ago, i was surprised it didnt hurt instantly, but it did a few days later, throbbing and pulsating,i didnt help things by keep touching it with my tongue, obviously im not a dentist fan so delayed going until i couldnt stand it any longer, i thought it was an abcess , it hurt like hell even with the lightest of touch, was taking too many cocodamol really, rinsing with salt water and using clove oil, which helped a bit, although too much clove oil made me sick, anyway a few diazepam and i was in the dentists chair she confirmed it was an abcess and she could see it, the pain was in my neck jaw and ear and also pain on the other side of my jaw (referred pain) . prescribed metronidazole for 5 days 600mg per day, its day 4 of 5 and its just the same, im fed up, should i wait and finish the course? or go back and say i dont think its working? i promised her i would have it out when the infection has gone but at this rate dont know when that will be, i just dont like taking all these painkillers, am i just being impatient, answer if you can please to help thanks x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

HI Noelle,

It sounds as if you need another course of a different antibiotic.

If the Metronidazole was working properly I'm pretty sure you should have seen a marked improvement in 48 hours.

Go back and see your Dentist again.

Good luck, Take care and let us know how you get on.

Kind regards

Jane

• Posted

thank you jane for taking the time to reply, its still the same this morning, i will maybe give the dentists a ring, thanks again Noelle

• Posted

Good luck,

I had awful trouble because I didn't go back to my Dentist quickly enough, and I'm still suffering the consequences so it's better to be safe.

• Posted

they rang and told me to give it another 24 hours then if no better then they will look again tomorrow, i will just have to put up with until then 😦

• Posted

Good luck and hope things improve for you soon.

Kind regards

Jane

• Posted

Hi I was very like your episode but left it to long and was taken into A&E

Scepsis.Two teeth and abscess removed,a whole in my cheek to drain it

and the pain is gone,,from that.I have that much collateral damage round my mouth I have only had 2 meals in 7 days. They told me salt water mouth wash

can anyone tell me anything to make it easier.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.