metronidazole long term effects

Posted , 31 users are following.

:? I was given metronidazole for a tooth infection 200 x 9 tablets and I collapsed I discovered later that I had been given this medication 9 time for diviticulitus over 10 years this last dose has completely upset me neurologically. 2 years later and I have not recovered, my doctor was very helpful and tests were done - I now have reactive hypoglycemia, not connected with diabetes, I have changed my diet, no sugar, and eat small meals regularly, but I also have tingling along the tops of my arms and on the front of my legs in the mornings and a stiff shoulder all because of this antibiotic. Why are tests not done to find out what part of this antibiotic is causing such serious side effects. I want my life back but how. Taking a tissue salt which helps but not a cure. Help.

[color=darkred:fd475a9e11][/color:fd475a9e11]

2 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was given metronidazole  4 days ago, and today I felt so ill with such bad anxiety that I called the doctor and said I wantd to go to hospital and never take that drug again, I also realize that I took it in Jan for diverticulitus, and after this I had to see a psychiatrist for acute trauma, I thought this was bought on by 5 operations that I have had to remove my stomach due to cancer but now realise it is all to do with metronidazole, you are meant to eat a lot of food when taking it, but I am unable to eat a lot as I have no stomach!!! I really believe this drug can ruin your life, only time will tell if I start to recover, any advice.

• Posted

Vanessa I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering so! From everything I've read, it seems like it just takes time to get it out of your system and for your body to repair any damage. Don't let them give you Cipro either, as its side effects are even worse. I took both for diverticulitis but I think I am reacting to the metronidazole and not the Cipro. I'm praying for you.

• Posted

Did anyone get better ? I don't know whether to compare metronidazole side effects to cipro ?

I have been having symptoms for two and a half months. I've never had such a bad reaction to a medication after discontinuing it.

• Posted

Hi sarah3365525, I have only taken Metronidazole but never cipro.  I found the metronidazole very hard to take as it gave me terrible upset stomachs and eventually stiffened me up so had to stop taking it. I don't know what other antibiotic can be taken instead of Metronidazole.  I also took Trimethroprim as the same time, perhaps the two together were just too strong.  I will never take Cipro. after hearing all the terrible things about it. 

• Posted

Sarah, I've been off of metronidazole since February and just now beginning to have more good days than bad. Everything I've read seems to say it just takes time, but it's very unnerving as we wait.

• Posted

Hi Karol and all, I'm so sorry to hear that metronizadole has so badly affected your lives.  I felt terrible on it and it stiffened me up so stopped taking it straight away.  I don't think anything will ever be done about these horrible medications we are given.  I have recently had two major skin cancer operations on my face (horrendous!) and each time was given Flucloxicillin which is the same family as Cipro. and I was so scared to take it as I've read so many terrible things about those drugs as well but felt I had to take the two courses I was given in case I got a skin infection.  I've felt so ill taking them as my system is really low and trying to fight my way back to health again.  It's a good thing we have the internet to communicate if not we would know how others are suffering from taking these terrible drugs.  Today is the first day I've woken up without feeling sick, weak, exhausted etc.  I had forgotten what feeling normal was like.  Don't get me wrong, I am still really weak and cannot look after myself yet.  I wish you all good luck and if you find another medication that we can take instead of Metronidazole I would be very interested to hear about it.   We need something less harmful.  It's a scandal that should be exposed.

• Posted

Hello. I have been taking metronidazole in pulses. It was a part of the cure - I have Lyme disease. And one pulse means 1250 mg of Metronidazole a day. 5 days of this amount and then 3 weeks without Metronidazole. I took 7 pulses. My sleeping orders are totaly danage - insomnia, disrupted sleeping...I am waking up so many times (6-10 times per night), very often unable to fall asleep for hours. Still so tired, still headache, no energy...I hate light. Awful! Does anyone have the same problem? I finnished using metronidazole 5-6 weeks ago. Now it is a little bit better, but not every day (two days better and 5 days worse), I can't understand. I've tried all of pills doctors can prescribe for better sleeping. Nothing works, nothing keeps me sleeping whole night without waking...please, help! Tgere are some information about your time to recovery. I really hope it will be the same aa before and not the same as Cipro side effects - I have never used Cipro, but I read bad things about ...

• Posted

I had the same problem with this devilish drug called Metronidazole. I woke up one morning and suddenly felt severe pain all over my gums. it was so excruciating that I was crying, never had anything like this in my life. So, I rushed to the dentist and he injected some gel in my gum then gave me this Metronidazole. I Immediately began experiencing severe pain in my penis followed by kidney pain then gallstone. I was scared running up and down different hospitals. The doctors thought I was going mental..... I'm like, I know who I am, I told the doctor that the drug is given to me  called Metronidazole is reeking havoc in my life .I was going nuts. The drug began to do rapid damage to my health within weeks but no one would help me . I started crying.. a grown man crying cause they couldn't fathom what I was going through at first,I thought they were being racist cos I black African i didnt know what to think currently, i still have the gallstone, kidney pain uti gumpain since Dec,22 2016 till date sept 2017. i'm going to see the cystoscopist hopefully this week i have been their twice but cancelled because they said i may lose my teeth during tracheal intubation . but i have no choice now but to do it i pray everyday now .. ...

• Posted

So I was given antibiotic beginning of 2015. I noticed shortly after I stopped doing a lot of things that I always did. I would wake up super early in the morning and be ready for the day and always on the go. I felt off though shortly after I guess. Like I wasn't a go get em type of person anymore. Never thought about it being the antibiotics until now. November 2015 I felt really sick and terrible and I couldn't even drive without getting a anxiety feeling. I now figured that out. I never really noticed my sugar low but it felt like it was low. Summer 2016 I took Zoloft. That crappy feeling I had went away but noticed I had severe reactive hypoglycemia. I got off the meds but RH has still not gone away. So here I am trying to figure it all out by myself on what cause Rh.

• Posted

Please give us some hope....do the symptoms go away...i have been through the same ???? Any good news would be encouraging...
    • Posted

Bessa, I am finally having more good days than bad ones, but occasionally I still have issues with the anxiety feelings and the “lack of enthusiasm” for doing things I normally find enjoyable and challenging.  I am finally hopeful that all will eventually subside and I will again feel normal. The tingling and headaches and numbness.....all are pretty much gone now. Once in awhile I notice my face having that numbness a bit, and it usually goes with the anxiety and weird feelings, but not prevalent like it was before. It’s been 8 months since I took Flagyl for one week. I hope you recover from it too. I’ve heard that it would be very rare to have permanent damage from a short course of it and I hope that’s true!
    • Posted

The symptoms do go away gradually Besa, it just takes time.  I took many courses of Metronizadole and Trimoprothrim together for diverticulitis and they made me really really ill.  It took a very long time to gradually recover but there is hope so be patient and you will recover.  I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Its hard to keep working....doctors dont recognised it as caused by medicine dont know what to do...it just keep coming back
    • Posted

Hi Besa,  I took many courses of Metronizadole during 2016 and again this year up until May.  Since then I have had to take other courses of antibiotics for other problems but I'm sure it was the Metronizadole that caused so many problems for me.  Basically, to try and get my body back on track I have been taking a probiotic every day since May and I also eat Yogurt to try and line my stomach a bit.  I have suffered with the most awful fatigue and feeling so sick, I cannot explain how ill I've been.  I had to sleep a lot and have spent most of the summer in bed as I have been too ill to even get up.  It's been a nightmare but I am getting stronger although I'm sure it's caused me to have other health issues but I am gradually improving.  I have really struggled to keep going but I am feeling a bit stronger and can do a bit more.  My husband has been taking care of me as I haven;t been able to cook or do anything for myself much.  Having a bath and washiing my hair has been exhausting but I think you just have to be patient and live from day to day until your body just heals itself.  I know it's frustrating but there is little else you can do.  Take care of yourself and rest when you need to, your body will heal.  We are all suffering different sides effect from taking this horrible medication but it seems to be widely prescribed.  I wish you good luck and hope you get well gradually. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.