Metroponol withdrawals

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi folks i have been off metroponol now for three weeks which was a dose 100 mg per day. While on it the higher the dose the worse the bronciospasms got !! Have really struggled with withdrawals!! very worried about the bronciospasms ! anyone else had anything similar ? thanks guys

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Since the Beta Blocker Bisoprolol, I occasionally suffer from PrinzMetal Angina which is a spasm in the coronary arteries and shown on an ECG as mountainous "T" waves which is a sign of arterial blockage when it happens.

When on the Beta Blocker Sotalol for a few days, I went into a coughing frenzy. Coming off stopped the frenzy but left me with a coughing reflex and desire to cough for a further year.

Looking further into it, I discover beta blockers act on the Autonomic Nervous System, one of the functions of the autonomic nervous system is the dilation and constriction of smooth muscles such as the arteries and the bronchial passages, (hense the triggering of the coughing reflex!).

The ANS should reset itself, though mine took a year, I think this is unusual.

• Edited

Hello,

You are much better without Metoprolol. I'm a Respiratory Therapist and I know that beta-blockers can make asthma (aka: bronchospasms) worse. Now that you're off them, you may experience withdrawals such as high heart rate, high blood pressure, anxiety, or fatigue. BUT as far as your bronchospasms, that will actually be better and you will breathe easier.

• Posted

Hi April

thank you so much for your reply, i actually never had asthma before . I was on them for vestibular migraine! Its been anitemare, been off them three weeks and feel lousy, very tired anxious and the breathlessness. The doctor got me really worried and wanted a chest xray. i never had any breathing issues till starting that drug. How long do the withdrawals last?

Thanks Teresa

• Edited

For my husband it lasted 3 months. After him, I went off Metoprolol but took herbs because my heartrate was so high and I had anxiety. So by using herbs I only suffered for about a week. I took Motherwort, Lemon Balm, and Skullcap. I got the tinctures and mixed them and took them every few hours until the withdrawals stopped.

I wish you well, and remember, this DOES get better with time.

• Posted

Hello,

I have been on Metoprolol 25 MG for 5 years and have struggled with off and on asthma and shortness of breath the whole time. The whole time I thought it was from my anxiety so I never told my doctor about it. It did not make the connection until recently when my Dr. increased it to 50 MG and it got MUCH worse. I can't even imagine what I would be like on 100 MG.

My Dr. now switched me from Metoprolol/Losartan combo to Lisinopril only. I have been off for almost 3 weeks but struggle with fast heart rate every time I try to do much of anything. Fortunately, my blood pressure has been good so far. I don't think I can ever go back on a beta blocker because of the breathing issues.

• Posted

I am not surprised, 100mg is a massive dosage. I only take 15mg of a mental health drug and that is enough for me. I do not know how you do it. I suppose you should gradually decrease the dosage and not just go cold turkey.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.