Microadenoma with Word Aphasia

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hello. I have been diagnosed with having a 2x2 microadenoma 3 years ago. I had it checked again 6 months ago, and we found it has grown to a 4x4mm. I have not felt any different, but I have noticed I am unable to communicate affectively. I hate to have conversations, because I constantly forget words, such as nouns. The reason I even am googling for this issue is because I could not remember the words "Patch Panel". I knew what it was, I could see it in my head, I knew what it did, but I could not, for the life of me, remember what it was called and I use and see them everyday. The forgetting of words has progressively gotten worse. When I get stuck on a word I can remember, I lose the entire conversation. I have also noticed, that my events of time do not line up, such as when I tell a past story that happenned to me. I remember the details, but am not able to explain the timeline correctly. Being that I can clearly see I am progressively getting worse at remembering words, and that I have this tumor, can it be related? If so, what type of doctor should I see?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You should be seeing an endocrinologist. The word and memory problem could be effected my the hormones the tumor is effecting. Look into medication or having it removed.

• Posted

Hi Ricky

As joneziii says, you need to see an Endocrinologist. For me I had gone to my GP first who did some blood tests, one of which was for Cortisol levels - I tested very low because the tumour had affected my production of ACTH. This got me a referral to an endocrinologist where it was discovered I had a 3cm macro adenoma. One of the many symptoms of low Cortisol is a "brain fog" which can manifest itself as inability to find words, fatigue, muscle weakness and the list goes on. Dr Google can of course find you symptoms for all sorts of ailments. The other key thing to watch out for with pituitary tumours is a change in visual fields or other vision related issues.

I'm assuming you must have already been down the GP / hospital referral route if you know you have a pituitary issue, so just back to your GP or the consultant you've seen and make sure they realise you have some new symptoms you didn't have before, so they can make a judgement.

ps. ACTH is the chemical produced by the pituitary gland which tells the adrenal glands to produce Cortisol....if the pituitary doesn't produce enough ACTH then your Cortisol will be low.

• Posted

Thank you all. I really appreciate your help. I will setup another appointment with my GP to refer me back to the endo. Thank you again.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with a prolactinoma recently.  Prior to being diagnosed, I briefly lost my vision and have terrible migraines, but I have also noticed that I am struggling to express myself when speaking.  I know exactly what I want to say, but I just can't spit it out.  I can see the word in my mind, but I cannot complete my sentences.  I know how you feel.  Socially, I try not to speak, in the event I forget what I want to say and make a complete fool of myself, or perhaps alert people that something isn't right.  I also worry about work.  I am struggling remembering whether I did something or not.  I see an endocrinologist Monday.  You should see an endocrinologist.  I hope we both get the help we need.  Hang in there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.