Microdiscectomy surgery worked like a dream for me !! I ...

Posted , 44 users are following.

Microdiscectomy surgery worked like a dream for me !! I am 26 years old and started with back pain in April 2005, and was initially diagnosed with sciatica. This was 7 weeks before my wedding. Not ideal at all, I was in vast amounts of pain, particularly down my right leg. I was left with a limp and unable to do any walking, standing or sitting for any amount of time. During my honeymoon the pain became even more intense and I ended up in hospital in San Francisco. They did the usual leg raise tests and diagnosed a slipped disc. made it back to the UK, and after a visit to the hospital and my GP was reffered to a consultant neurologist. The wait on the NHS was silly, so we paid to get a private consultation. He sent me for an MRI scan which showed prolapsed L5 S1. Told I needed micro diskectomy, but the waiting list was 6 months. After waiting 3 months and being in horrendous amounts of pain (not to mention the psychological effects of having no life!!) we decided to take out a loan and get it done privately. Had the op on November 7th, and it is the best money I have ever spent in my life. The pain in my leg was gone straight away. I was off pain killers completely within two weeks of surgery. I feel on top of the world. After surgery the main issue you will have is sitting down. You are walking the day after the operation, but sitting takes a little more time. There is some numbness in my right foot, but nothing major, and this is expecetd to calm down in a few months. It's three weeks since the op......I am now walking for 2 hours or more each day, swimming, driving and doing small bits at the gym. Do not be scared about having this operation.

[i:dae4fffd49]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:dae4fffd49]

6 likes, 89 replies

89 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Steve that's bad have been recommended to see Mr Jasani at Stoke on Trent. Anyone know him?
  • Posted

Steve, that's absolute rubbish !!!

Some days I had pain from my right buttock all the way down my leg and under my foot.

Some days the pain was only in the thigh area, other days only the calf.

If you have a prolapsed disc then surely it must be pressing on the nerve.

My pain was horendous ranging from pain, numbness, pins and needles sometimes the leg felt like ice.

I feel so lucky that I was treated at the Queen Elizabeth.

If it gets really bad go to A & E, thats what I did the second time, I went early Sunday morning, and after an MRI scan they admitted me. I would be saying that if this goes on for much longer I am going to have ireversable nerve damage, and who will I be holding responsible for this !!.

Two years is ridiculous

• Posted

I had an MRI back in 2007 as a result of severe burning pain in my legs and was diagnosed with an L5 S1 prolapse. I was put on 300mg Gabapentin 3/day and told to self adjust this to manage the pain level. 6 years later the pain is increasing, it's a severe burning pain that moves around my legs, feet and groin. I am now on 5 gabapentin/day and still getting the pain. My GP recently told me they're not allowed to refer patients for this condition anymore as scans and operations are too expensive. He told me to come back when I'm on 8 x 300mg Gabapentin/day.

Is this normal??

• Posted

Hi hope you seek better help if poss noone should be left in so much pain i was becauae they did not see what was wrong but once they do it cruel to leave you like it good luck
  • Posted

Hi Plymdave,

I can't believe your situation, thats terrible.

Go to A&E tell them your history, the main worry is the numbness in the groin, your GP is a disgrace in my opinion.

My consultant told me that once you start to get pains/burning/numbness in the groin area then it is becoming severe, and is serious. Go to A & E tell them you cannot stand the pain any longer and you are worried because the feelings in the groin area have changed, go on a Sunday when the GP isnt open, and it's quieter so they can spend more time talking to you. I feel so sorry for some of the comments on here, I have been so lucky with my Health Authority. Don't give up and dont accept that you cannot have anything done. I would be saying to the GP are you going to be held responsible if this condition becomes ireversable due to your lack of care.My first operation was done 8 weeks after the pain first started ( never have I experienced pain like that before ) My second operation was done 6 weeks after the pains started again. My consultant said I would be very unlucky if it happened again, but I have every faith in him, should I need help again.

My best wishes go to you

• Posted

I was diagnosed with sciatica in Sept 2012, but in Oct 2012 had an grand mal epileptic fit and made my back worse, i was hospitalised for a week. I was put on pain killers which dont work! I am in constant pain, I am left with a limp in my left leg because of the pain and sitting or walking, carring anything or doing household chores hurts. I found in Dec 2012 i have degenerative spondylolisthesis, L5-S1. On top of this I had to give up my job, due to health and safety reasons.
  • Posted

Hi All,

I am a male patient (not from UK),aged 32. I was diagnosed with sciatica in 2007, MRI show L4-L5 (bulge) and L5-S1 (broken!). Could not move my right foot and got an opinion of 3 orthopedic surgeons. One told me to go for an op and the two told me to rest,take medicins and physio/swimming. I took the second option; got better soon. For 6 years now, I cannot run/do sports without pain in the night (taking medicine).When I get physio or go for swimming I get better; this however cannot be done permanently, my daily work office does not allow that.Moreover, lately this affected my sex life. I hurt and get ER sometimes. Any of you had these symptoms? I am tired of this life, I am an energetic person and want to be fully functional/healthy. I am thinking of going for an op but am afraid of not getting results. Dont want to do second op or have more pain than now. My life is not intorelable but I want to remove the above problems permanently. Please for your comments/advice!

• Posted

It has been just over 4 weeks after my Microdiscectomy which i paid for privately at the Priory hospital in Birmingham, it wasnt cheap but its the best money I have ever spent. I can now walk straight without pain, something i thought i would never do, after repeatedly going to my own GP and being told that it would go away, and paying for private physio I eventually paid for my own MRI scan and to speak with a consultant who said I needed an op and would refer me back to my own GP, but would probably have to wait 6 months, on enquiring about self funding I was operated on within the week.

As I said at the start best money ever spent, I'm still recovering but now there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

Hi I had my microdiscoptomy but still in pain had nerve block inj and they did work on l4 l5 there ma y be doing op again as still pain in my leg and back still on tablets there allso mentioning a spinal stimulating op weather that will work who knows good luck to any one in pain hope your better soon x
  • Posted

Sorry meant to say did not work on l4 l5 there doing op again just have to wait for appointment now good luck to everyone
  • Posted

Hi fellow suffers I too was diagnosed with sciatica and after a MRI scan was told eventually it would

gp away.I was put on co-codamel and managed to walk,and see friends locally,but no tennis or gym or

dancing.Foolishly I saw a highly recommended chiropractor who did something to my pelvis,I am now

in so much agony I was put on the highest form of pain killers there was,and anti-inflammatory tablets

I had home visits(my doctor is wonderful) but I have not been outside since the the start of December

and now I am bed ridden.I an seeing a consultant today with the help of my husband and son.

I will insist on another scan to see what the chiropractor has done to me,as I am now taking the pills

like sweets!It is interesting to know the good results had with the operation,as if it is needed I am

going private.will let you know good luck with you all.

• Posted

I was very interested to read about Microdensitometer as today I went to the surgeon has recommended

this operation as I have been suffering since October very badly since seeing a Chiropractor.I am a bit

scared and the remarks have cheered me up,the surgeon is trying to fit me in with non urgent cases,as

private treatment would cost between £8,000 to £10,000 pounds!

What is the recovery time?

• Posted

So glad there are positive reports about microdiscetomy as I am hoping to go in for one via the NHS,

They found not only a dodge disc but a cyst that is giving more pressure.

Privately in London the op cost between £8,000 to £10,000 but because of the pain factor and the cyst

they hope to get me in between 2-3 weeks.

Cannot wait as now I am bed ridden when I used to play tennis,go to the gym and dancing.

• Posted

Good luck hope it works out for you no one should suffer all the very best
  • Posted

I'm in a bit of a dilemma regarding whether or not to opt for surgery to repair a recent prolapse of L5/S1 in mylower back.

The Issue reared it's ugly head in September 2013 but has slowly improved to the extent that I no longer require painkillers and can do mild to moderate physical activity.

I have been referred to a neuro surgeon in Edinburgh but have not yet received appointment date.

I have attached a pic of my MRI from Dec 2013 and would be interested to hear how my prolapse compares to others who have had a similar injury.

http://s13.photobucket.com/user/rinkydinkron/media/561e40e8-d20f-49c8-ab9f-898ff2a8f88f_zps2608d3c3.jpg.html

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.