Microdiscectomy vs epidural injections for herniation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone had success for epidural steroid injections for nerve root compression from disc prolapse? 

Also has anyone experienced cessation of leg pain literally overnight? I have been unfortunate enough to prolapse my disc 6months ago, relapse at 3 months after 80% improvement and am now at a point where when upright I have constant pain in my leg. I am reluctant to have surgery as have no pain at night or when I sit and have no neuro symptoms but I cannot walk without leg pain and am unable to work or lift my baby or do any exercise....

I am reluctant for surgery as feel with a young baby I could prolapse again post surgery or could be worse off than I am now whereby I can walk over a over a mile and swim but it is just painful to do....any recommendations? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have had epidural steroid injections and have found them to be very useful indeed.  Some people say that they get no benefit from them, but there can be no harm in trying them.  Personally, they did work for me.  Time IS a great healer.  My disc herniated c.3-4 years ago now and it's only after the first 2-3 years that things improved quite a bit.  

Regarding surgery, I have met people who have had the operation and the disc, say, above the one extracted or partially removed has also prolapsed or herniated several months after the original operation.  Surgery also has no guarantee of curing pain.  It's apparently quite good for leg pain but not general lower back pain.  Also, the internal and external scarring involved with old-fashioned microdiscectomy operation does have the potential to cause its own pain problems in, say, a decade's time.  

If you eventually do decide to go for surgery, ask about an endoscopic discectomy.  It only involves an approx. 1cm insertion point instead of a several inch open surgery scar down your back by using various gadgets and cameras to do the job that a traditional scalpel would.  Rehabilitation should also be quicker with this more modern method as it doesn't need to cut through muscle and drill through bone, which is bound to leave the back a little weaker and less stable afterwards.  

• Posted

Yes I have just had an epidural steroid injection for a prolapse disk.  I've had 

no relief as yet but had this now for 7.5 months.  I am waiting to have an op if an doesn't work within a couple of weeks.  I am the same if I walk constant leg pain, if I lie down no pain whatsoever.  I can't live my life normally and do want an op to put the disk back.  Have you asked regarding surgery???

• Posted

Well I have considered surgery on and off since doing the prolapse....to me it is the last possible resort, although I am in constant pain and I can't work, I am still able to walk and generally do stuff, I just can't work or exercise which I hate and the thought of having no leg pain through having surgery is very tempting but the possibly thought that I could come out of surgery with more pain, neurological symptoms or even worse is why at this point I really don't want to go down that route, especially if there is any possibility that by waiting a few more months the leg pain may subside....the problem is having a baby I know that although I can initally have help post surgery there is a chance that even 8 weeks after I could risk another prolapse through the constant lifting and twisting that is inevitable with having a child....so I feel totally 'stuck' at the moment in trying to make a decision....I also feel that although in constant pain I have made some progress in recovery and surgery will cause inflammation and complete rest again...it is a really hard decision at the moment....let me know how you get on with the injections, have you had any worsening pain since having it? 
  • Posted

Hi there, I've had the epidural injection about 5 weeks ago and the pain down my right leg has now disappeared (wonderful) my lower back is still sore if I do too much and I am still off work.  I did however, walk 5 miles two days ago without any pain (incredible).  My Neurosurgeon wants me to now have some nerve tests and a second opinion before thinking about an operation. 

I would definitely recommend the injection as before I was going insane with the pain.  Now I can walk again without limping. 

My back is still sore but nowhere near what I had before and now I only take two painkillers a day (if that).   Look after your back but def get the injection xx

• Posted

I went straight for the Microdisectomy. To me injections just seem to delay the inevitable. The operation includes 6 weeks recovery, but now two weeks post op I am glad I had it done.

• Posted

I have had epidural injection 6 weeks back, I had disc herniation at L4-L5 and L5-S1 level and have suffered very bad sciatica. It pained a lot, but after taking the injection my sciatica is almost gone. I can walk without pain now. sometime I do feel some tingling on my feet and throbbing in the leg. My leg is weak but overall its far better than previously.

I would suggest to go for conservative methods before doing surgery. If nothing helps then do the surgery. Actually you'll feel better after 4-5 weeks naturally. 

put surgery as the last option.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.