Microdiscetomy or another injection

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Four months ago I slipped a disc at L4/L5 compressing the left L5 nerve.

I've been in constant pain ever since. The pain is mainly in my bottom and all the way down my leg, particularly in my left calf. I have constant cramp and muscle spasms.

I'm currently taking naproxen and codeine to help with the pain and have just been prescribed diazepam to help with the pain at night. I was taking Gabapentin but I had to stop taking it because it was giving me really bad brain fog and I couldn’t concentrate at work.

I recently had a nerve root block injection which hasn't helped and has made the leg pain worse. I had a follow up MRI because the pain was so bad and it showed the disc hadn't moved.

To complicate matters my L5 vertebra is sacralised so i have an extra vertebrae which is why the injection might not of worked.

I've now been referred to an orthopedic surgeon to discuss surgery. I met the surgeon yesterday and he ran through the risks with having a microdiscetomy me which have left me feeling very worried and anxious about having surgery. He did say he could try an epidural injection before we decide on the surgery.

Has anyone else been in this position? If you had the operation did it go ok and were there any complications?

Thanks in advance!

Charlotte

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi, I'm in a similar position too but have disc prolapse at L5/S1 and nerve pain, cramps, pins and needles in my leg and foot. I am unable to sit, drive and have a lot of pain at night. I am seriously considering the discectomy.. I know several people that have had it and said it was the best thing they did. The surgeon advised me against an injection saying he didn't think it would be effective for long. Would be great to hear how you are getting on?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.