Edited , 8 users are following.
Brief background. Around 2yrs ago I visited a specialist for severe lower left back pain. MRI scan showed degenerative disc at L4/5. It was decided to try physio therapy at this point. I was fine after that for around 1.5yrs before I started having further flare up's. At the beginning of this yr, I started experiencing tingling in my left foot & further episodes of bad back & then sciatica symptoms.
Further MRI scan in Jan of this yr showed a large area of the disc L4/5 herniated, compressing the nerve. At this point I was not able to perform straight leg raises due to the pain radiating up my leg & lower back. The specialist surgeon did not want to risk a steroid injection with a herniation of this magnitude. In April it was decided we go for microdiscectomy (booked for June). I also had physiotherapy sessions in May.
For around a month, my symptoms have eased off- just the odd ping down my leg & intermittent tingly left foot. During this period, I have been inactive (no cardio excercise at gym for 4 weeks). A pre-surgery MRI scan this week has shown the disc herniation is smaller than it looked in the Jan MRI scan- explaining why the symptoms are less than before.
The surgeon reckons I should continue with surgery for long term as a flare up can occur anytime. I really am stuck and cannot decide if I should go for surgery or not to the point I am anxious & stressed. Any advice will be welcome.
0 likes, 10 replies