Microhematuria after bacterial infection, CKD in fam. (SCARED)

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello there. I'm female, 25 yo. It all started with a skin itch on my whole body, and loss of appetite 4 days later. It freaked me out as I never experienced this and I was also feeling tired and weak. I also had diarrhea ( kinda yellowy and with mucus after 6 days) and my blood pressure went to even 170/110 and heart rate over 100. I was also panicking because my dad had the itchy skin when his kidney problems started , 10 years before he started dialysis. I did the blood tests after 5 days of these symptoms which were fine except :

ESR 23 mm/h, ref: <20 mm/h

total cholesterol 209 mg/dl

lymphocytes % : 16 %---ref: 20-55 %

Calcium 8.3 mg/dL

VitaminD 25.9 ng/mL ref: > 30 ng/mL

This was on Friday, on Tuesday I did the urine test and it showed:

Specific gravity: 1011 Ref: 1000 - 1035

Ph: 5.5

erythrocytes hemoglobin : 1 mg/dl -- for reference it says Negative (< 0.03 mg/ml) Should I consider it negative then?? from the math I do : 1mg/dl = 0.01 mg/ml

Nitrites Positive

Sediment : Frequent Mucus, Leucocytes 1-2/hpf , rbc 6-10/ hpf , Bacterial flora present

I assumed there was bacteria present ( the uroculture came after 3 days) but my doctor said no to worry because leucocytes are absent and only prescribed high bp meds but I didn't take them imediately. Ofc the urocolture showed >100.000 UFC Escherichia coli/ml. Weird thing is I didn't have a UTI symptom like pain when urinating or less amount. The doctor prescribed antibiotics for 7 days and I also started taking beta blocker for my bp. I started feeling great, started going to nutritionist to change my eating habits. after a week even my bp was normal ( even too low for me) so I stopped the beta blocker. Silly me didn't know that abrupt stop will cause palpitations. Itching skin almost stopped.

Did another urine test after 2 weeks, but I was one day before my period so I try to blame it on that, even if I did the hygiene thoroughly before taking the sample.

Specific gravity: 1010 Ref: 1000 - 1035

Ph: 5

300 rbc /μL --- Reference: Negative (< 5 /μL)

19 rbc/ hpf in sediment

no bacteria

I freaked out. Went to a cardiologist, he sugested doppler ultrasound for kidneys and I also did general abdominal ultrasound. All normal, no stones, normal sizes. Altho left kidney is 9.5 cm and right one 10.4 cm (I read that left one should be bigger, but the doc's didn't say anything could be wrong so I guess its congenital?). Started the beta blocker again. Feeling good, no doctor was worried about the rbc in urine.

One month after it all started and I was feeling fine did another blood and urine test. Blood came back all fine. Urine says:

Specific gravity: 1010 Ref: 1000 - 1035

Ph: 5

erythrocytes hemoglobin : 0.5 mg/dl -- ref: Negative (< 0.03 mg/ml) ...Same question : considered negative?

Sediment : Rare Mucus, Leucocytes 1-2/hpf , rbc 5-6/ hpf , No bacterial flora

Also checked my thyroid and it was normal levels. I have one bigger lymph node in my throat (1.3 cm) but I don't know since when it is there. I also have micropolychistic ovaries syndrome for which I take birth control since 6 years, and I had a check recently and everything looks fine.

I'm feeling good, slowly getting of the beta blocker, doing more excercise, lost 14 pounds, yet I freak out thinking that I might have something wrong left with my kidneys knowing my dad's history and the fact that you may not know till later that it's CKD and it doesn't show on blood tests from the beginning (Creatinine and urea normal, altho creatinine went from 0.71 to 0.77 in a month but I hope it's because of what I ate). Also that specific gravity may be cause I'm well hydrated now and I was reaaally barely keeping the pee in when I took the sample. But shouldn't the ph be higher then? My GP, the cardiologist, the endocrinologist, they all said not to worry about the rbc , and I try to believe it yet some people say it's not ok to have even tiny blood in urine.

Sorry for the long text and I hope someone can help me. I was never this anxious about health before all this and it's really making a mess in my mind.

Thank you

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.