Microscopic hematuria

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I've been experiencing left side flank pain for a few weeks now. It came and went until just over a week ago when the pain was intense, spread to my abdominal area and I felt nauseous. That day I also noticed my urine was cloudy and smelled almost like sulphur. I saw my doctor who suspected UTI and asked me to hand in a water sample. I was also prescribed antibiotics, which I have now completed.

The doctor said my water sample was fine and I don't need to go back. The doctor did not confirm what the test said or what he thought cause the infection / where it was coming from. The cloudy and smelly urine also cleared quite quickly after starting antibiotics. However, I still have flank pain, which sometimes spreads and I have also used urianalysis dipstick tests which is showing blood in my urine. The blood is not visible, but showing a high reading on the dipstick. I bought the tests just after seeing the doctor and blood has been in each sample at the same level each time I have tested (i.e. daily for over a week). I am surprised that the doctor didn't pick this up in their tests. Initially, I had leukocytes in my urine too, but this seemed to clear when the antibiotics kicked in.

My doctor said I don't need to go back, but I am concerned about the blood in my urine. I have never experienced a UTI /kidney / bladder issues before, so unsure whether this finding is to be expected after I have completed a course of antibiotics? Should I push this with my doctor and ask for further investigations?

Other things to note:

I'm 33 year old female, not pregnant

Non smoker

Not currently on my period

Only other medication is the Pill (microgynon)

Slightly elevated blood pressure when it was checked at my last doctor appointment

Started experiencing heart palpitations in May 2019 - the cause was found to be PVCs and not on medication. Generally fit and well otherwise

History of high blood pressure in the family

My mum has issues with kidney infections and kidney stones.

I have included an image from my last urianalysis dipstick early for reference. Blood reading was +++200 on this test.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi ,

I had something similar after a UTI but did not have the flank pain. I had leftover urinary frequency and microscopic blood in urine. My doctor told me to see a urologist who ran some tests to check for any further infections. I also gave a urine sample that was screened at the DNA level to check for any other infections along with bladder cancer. Evidently, bladder cancer is very popular in my state. All in all, everything turned out fine and she said microscopic blood was probably due to female hormonal changes as I am 48. I was able to calm my bladder by taking OTC medicine. It did take about three months. Since you are having pain, I think it warrants the fact that you have it checked out. I believe you know your body the best and you should keep pursuing it unti you are satisfied.

All the best!

• Posted

Emma,does your doctor know that your Mum had problems with Kidney stones and infections?You should let him/her know. Make another appointment and say you are experiencing the flank pain and tell them about your Mums problems.Your UTI may be cured but it may have been caused by tiny stones that are forming.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.